PDA

View Full Version : HELP pls -Installing existing website on new computer

Upsiaus
06-06-2007, 05:22 AM
Hi, I've recently taken over administration of sports club website. I use DW 8 and the previous guy used older version of DW so I thought that setting the site up on my computer will be piece of cake....I was wrong...:confused:

In my DW I created new site, set-up the FTP connection and synchronized it with the server. I got all the files on my computer in the same root folder as my predecessor.

Everything seemed ok until first update. The website is base on a template. This template has Javascript main menu and two java applets (fading news). When I edit any page and save it, it is all good. But my problem begins when I have to edit the template. I edit the template, then save it and as offered by DW I let update all files using that template. If I open any page using that template after editing template, the main menu and the applets are not displayed and error while loading the page is shown!!!:x All other parts of the page and graphics are ok. I should mention that when editing the template I NEVER touch the java applets or the main menu script!!

I tried everything, checked all the Site settings etc, but nothing helped.

Can anyone help me, pleeeeeaaaasssseee????

edbr
06-06-2007, 05:45 AM
check your links in the updated pages. they may be to templates/your file.

Upsiaus
06-06-2007, 06:01 AM
Hi there, I did check the links - the java applets are "../script/fadingnews.js", just as it should be and the code for main menu is in the template itself (no separate file).....

At the top of the code it shows the source of the template as "../templates/template.dwt" and that is where my template file is....

This is driving me crazy, I have been trying for 3 day straight now....:confused:

edbr
06-06-2007, 07:23 AM
whats the url?

Upsiaus
06-07-2007, 12:39 AM
Hi,

the IRL is: www.pulsetriclub.com.au

edbr
06-07-2007, 01:22 AM
It is working in ff and ie6. Have you solved it? Takes a long time to load though

Upsiaus
06-07-2007, 01:47 AM
Hi, no I didn't solve the problem just yet. The website you were looking at is up and running ok. But when I edit the template, upload it, than it does not work. Do you want me to do it so you can have a look?

This problem does NOT occur on the other guy's computer so I guess the problem must be somewhere in my site setting, right???

edbr
06-07-2007, 02:43 AM
I would say so. no dont upload if they wont work. check your site settings and keep trying localy first

Upsiaus
06-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Hi, half of my problem now has been solved!

I uninstalled DW and re-installed it again. Edited the template, saved it and it WORKED!! All excited I uploaded it to the server and to my great dissapointment it DID NOT WORK there!!!!!!

I even manualy deleted all the files from the server and uploaded the new ones, but the result was still the same!

:x:x:x:x

edbr
06-08-2007, 01:08 AM
it looks ok to me! am i missing something?

Upsiaus
06-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Hi,

no, you are not missing anything. I couldn't leave it on a server NOT working so I put back the original files from my backup.

I found what causes the problem:

In my root folder I have folder called "Templates" where I keep my templates (obviously :grin:). Then I have another folder called "www" where I have all the files and folders (htmls, script folder, image folder, etc).

When I check code of index.html file before I make changes to the template, save it and update all depending files, the links for fadingnews java applet and main menu is for example href="script/fadingnews.class". But after I edit, save and update files the links change to href="../www/script/fadingnews.class" !!

What can I do about it??? Please, help, me!! :-)