PDA

View Full Version : GL convert: Help understanding of DW "site management"

projectioninst
06-03-2007, 06:23 PM
I'll apologize up front for the long winded post, but I can't seem to find a good answer to this:

I've recently transitioned to Dreamweaver CS3 from GoLive CS2 and am trying to wrap my head around what exactly is meant by "site management" in Dreamweaver circles. Particularly I'm confused as to the usefullness of the DW assets panel. Basically, I would like if someone can let me know if I understand the differences between the two programs correctly, or if I'm missing some key features in Dreamweaver:

The files panel in both programs seems to work the same. If you reshuffle the location of your internal HTML files, GoLive and Dreamweaver both prompt you to update all of the affected links. Great! But in GoLive, this functionality also applied to external links, color swatches etc.

In GoLive, you could import color swatch libraries from other Adobe products and have them available for your website. In Dreamweaver, I've found that you can't import the swatches directly, but can create them manually in the 'favorites" section of the color assets panel. I can live with that. In GoLive, however, once you styled a bit of text with a swatch, that text was linked to the swatch and not specifically that color (say the swatch was named "header color"). Any changes to the swatch would instantly propegate throughout the entire site. So if I changed the color of the swatch named "header color", it would update every instance of that color globally. Dreamweaver, by contrast, only uses the color value of a swatch and does not link it to a particular swatch. Once you've styled text using a color swatch from your favorites panel, you can change that swatch or delete it entirely and it has no affect on the site. Is this a correct understanding?

Similarly, links in the favorites panel worked the same way in GoLive. Once you defined a URL in the favorite assets panel and referenced that asset in your site, you could change the URL in the assets panel and it would update every occurance throughout the site.

So basically, I'm understanding that the Assets panel in Dreamweaver simply acts like a clipboard viewer. It can hold bits of code or color swatches or URL links to use in your site, but it does not have any ability to actually "manage" that content once it is placed into the HTML file. Am I missing something here? I hope this question makes sense and isn't too confusing! :)

Thanks for you help.

kate
06-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Hello,

See if these Captivate videos help at all:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/getting_started_dreamweaver_cs3.html

:mrgreen:

domedia
06-05-2007, 03:22 PM
projectioninst, I think you got it about right.
You might want to check out the wealth of features unique to DW as well.

projectioninst
06-06-2007, 01:34 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Domedia: I'm just feeling the pains of moving forward right now and am bummed that a few features I've grown to rely on are no longer available to me. I'm sure Dreamweaver has a ton of stuff that I haven't even tapped into yet, which is exciting though.

I was just hoping that DW's site management capabilities would be a bit stronger. GoLive's .site database has made me soft!

-P

domedia
06-06-2007, 02:23 PM
If you literally rely on them, you might be better off sticking with GL?
I'd definitely recommend you take a good look at everything DW has to offer though, spend some time on it. I'm sure you'll get impressed :)