PDA

View Full Version : WAMP questions... (long msg - sorry)

Tanzawa
05-29-2007, 03:41 PM
Hey there!

I'm hoping someone can help me with a couple of questions...

I'm following the tutorial Intro to PHP and it's suggested that I download WAMP5 1.6.5 with PHP 5.1.6. I was really excited that all three of those programs are in one bundle, but I don't see anything available for a Mac. Is this only a Windows program?

Also, my hosting service doesn't have the latest version of Apache... they're currently running version 1.3.

Is it necessary for me to install Apache or the other programs? I thought I read somewhere that if the server already has it installed you don't have to download it to your computer?

I struggled terribly with installing MySql a while back and would absolutely love to avoid that headache if at all possible.

Also, any tips on how I can secure my computer from lurkers? Does a database create a way for people to barge into my files or something?

I'm SO sorry for the long message. I've been researching for over five hours this morning... :shock: ga!!

Thanks! Michiko

davidj
05-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Hey there!

I'm hoping someone can help me with a couple of questions...
Ill try.

I'm following the tutorial Intro to PHP and it's suggested that I download WAMP5 1.6.5 with PHP 5.1.6. I was really excited that all three of those programs are in one bundle, but I don't see anything available for a Mac. Is this only a Windows program?
yes i think so.. I wouldnt be able to help with any problems because im not a mac... im a pc!

Also, my hosting service doesn't have the latest version of Apache... they're currently running version 1.3.
all i can advise is to test it and if your application doesnt work on your host system then change to host that works

Is it necessary for me to install Apache or the other programs? I thought I read somewhere that if the server already has it installed you don't have to download it to your computer?
yes you need all of them because you will be working locally from your machine

I struggled terribly with installing MySql a while back and would absolutely love to avoid that headache if at all possible.
again i couldnt offer support on a mac

Also, any tips on how I can secure my computer from lurkers? Does a database create a way for people to barge into my files or something?

an unsecure database may allow a hacker to destroy your database

Tanzawa
05-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Hi Davidj,

Thanks for your response. I have to admit I'm a little disappointed that there isn't a bundled package for Macs... *sniff* Any idea on why that is?

Thanks!
Michi

davidj
05-29-2007, 10:29 PM
as the promo ads indicate...

macs are jeans and t-shirt and are great at creating a photo book in 2 clicks

PC's are boring, crusty, old sensible machines used by programmers

edbr
05-30-2007, 05:25 AM
seems there are a few for macs, xammp and apache2triad have veraions for mac and linux. and there is a mac only called mamp
I used the first 2 on pc and they were fine and easy to install. Im not an apple-aid, so I havent a clue if they are different

Tanzawa
05-30-2007, 07:49 AM
Well, Davidj... I'm at a point now that I have to figure this out - whether I need to use it in the future or not. Actually, I used a PC at my last job and have a Mac at home, so I guess that makes me a crusty t-shirt/blue jean wearin two-clicker. Ouch!!! ;)

Edbr - thanks for the leads! Mamp sounds pretty good (bundle), but I was a little confused as I scanned their forum about bugs. It's a little... strange.

Thanks again for both your input! :)

Michi

kona72
06-01-2007, 02:46 PM
I thought that mac came with apache server .... just like Windows box comes with IIS...

If that is the case then all you'll need is phpmyadmin or EMS SQL Manager...

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/downloads.php

http://sqlmanager.net/en/downloads

And then PHP

http://www.php.net/downloads.php

Tanzawa
06-06-2007, 01:39 AM
Thanks, Kona72! I will try what you suggested as my final attempt ... at least for a while anyway. I swear I was rocking back-and-forth at my desk trying to figure this out - reading thousands of blogs from other frustrated mysql people.

The hosting folks that I use have MySql and all that other stuff available (php/phpmyadmin, mysql, apache, etc) so I'm still confused as to why I have to have it on my computer? I mean, I can create a database on their hosting server. And all I really want is to password protect a page (my online portfolio) with just one general username/password. But I don't want to have that cheesy login drop down box -- which I've heard is really unsafe for your computer...? Plus I thought it would be good to learn anyways...

Wish me luck... I'll letcha know how I make out...

kona72
06-06-2007, 02:15 AM
Hi,

so I'm still confused as to why I have to have it on my computer?

The biggest reason is so that you can test locally/ trouble shoot and then upload.... don't want to be doing all that when potential clients are looking at your site...

Also.. maybe research .htaccess file for password protection.. no need for a db and quite secure as far as i know. I use them all the time to protect CMS systems for clients...

edbr
06-06-2007, 03:13 AM
there are some ht access generators on lie too like...

http://cooletips.de/htaccess/