PDA

View Full Version : Centering my Website

Newin
05-27-2007, 12:35 AM
Hello guys, I just registered to this site a few minutes ago, :thanks to those who made it possible:

My problem is the following:
I just created a website (My first one) and It was pretty cool, the only problem is to center it, When i see it in my Lap Top screen it looks normal (Since I created the website in the Lap Top), but if i see it in my desktop monitor it looks different (smaller) , I was just wondering how do they do it to keep the site always centered in the screen..
Just like this website, it adapts to the user's monitor. How can I do that to my site???
BTW I am using Dreamweaver 8

Please help me..

Andromeda
05-27-2007, 01:08 AM
Hi Newin.

It depends on whether you're using css or not. Can you post the code for us to look at?

Newin
05-27-2007, 02:44 AM
Hi, thanks for your reply...
I did not use any CSS, cause my course does not cover that yet, this is the website www.coiffure-lara.com (in spanish)

I hope I can do something about it..
Regards:-D

Andromeda
05-27-2007, 03:58 AM
One way to do this would be to insert a table with a center alignment.
Then pop ALL content in this table. The table will stay in the center of the screen and all the content inside the table will adjust accordingly depending on the monitor size.

You do need to look at your code though, there are some serious errors. Your page does not have its basic structure in place, no <html> or <body> tags for example.

Although your course may not have covered css yet (even though there is some in your code) it should have covered these basic elements.

chriskq
05-27-2007, 05:29 AM
hi i realise ur new to all this. but a few points

try and validate ur document, theres a few things you can do to markup your page better - that are easy to do.

you need start and closing <head> tags.
you need start and closing <html> tags

have you had any luck centering it yet.

ps- you are using css in ur page (that the editor has inserted for you)

chriskq
05-27-2007, 05:30 AM
sorry andromeda you beat me.

Newin
05-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Hello guys, Andromeda and Chriskq

Thanks for writing.. Using a centered Table worked, although I don't know how can I fix the errors (((Your page does not have its basic structure in place, no <html> or <body> tags for example. ))) what can I do about that????

:-D

Chriskq... Cool MySpace.......

chriskq
05-27-2007, 11:35 PM
just have to hand edit the code Newin.

this may seem daunting at first when ur new to it... but it becomes easy with practice. First always make a duplicate of the page (for just in case)

then look a good website code (right click > view source) and try and copy how they have placed their core structure tags (<head> <html> etc)

the webiste i did for my friend has really simple code (look @ source)
http://redro.com.au/
have a look and keep asking questions when ur stuck

Newin
05-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Hello chriskq, Thanks for your answer..

I will look at your website right now and i'll try to learn from it, I will also look at some other website...

Thanks and have a good day..
:)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I shal close this as an answered question...............

Newin
05-31-2007, 04:37 AM
So chriskq, are you going to tell us how you did Myspace a cool one?