PDA

View Full Version : Google Search Engine

martinprints
05-26-2007, 12:44 PM
:confused:
the google bot visits my site regularily...but...
i am on AOL and still the site can only be found if you put the full address into the address bar...it cannot be found by putting it into the search bar
does any one know why??

chriskq
05-27-2007, 09:48 AM
doesnt aol suck?

i live in australia so i wouldnt know.

wat browser are u using

martinprints
05-27-2007, 09:58 AM
the AOL search engine is "powered by google"

would be interested in any feed back on any search engines that do or don`t work for my website:

can anyone get to it by just typing in :

martinprints

(which is what i would like to happen)

or do you need the full website address:

www.martinprints.co.uk (http://www.martinprints.co.uk)

fwr1000
05-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Martin, one needs to understand how the search engines work. Briefly, when you enter a keyword, (martinprints) Google (or any other search engine) looks at all the pages they have found during their crawls and then decides which one gets shown first (Google calls this Page Rank). They do NOT look at the meta keywords, but instead to the content of the pages. When you only put in martin prints you are “competing” with all the other millions of pages on the web that contain these words. It then uses an algorithm to determine who shows up on the first page of the search. Now, how Google determines this not published by Google and in fact is a “deep dark secret”. What is known is that H1 headings, the number of times the keyword is contained in the text of your page(s) and how many other sites are linked to your site all play a role in determining the page rank or who shows up first. When you put in martinprints.com, you are the only one in the millions of pages that contain this exact description so you show up, but when you put in martin prints, you are one of many.

Suggest you Google Search Engine Optimization and do some reading on how some suggest that you get a higher page ranking. It’s a complicated subject. A good site is www.searchenginewatch.com (http://www.searchenginewatch.com/) which has a number of articles and explains (much better that I have here) how the engines work.

One thing I have read though is that the companies (Search Engine Optimizers) that claim they will rework your pages to get you higher ranking generally are not worth the money.

HTH

Fred

kate
05-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Martin prints,

Third placed in Google listing..:D

domedia
05-27-2007, 03:41 PM
what *really* helps is getting inbound links that are associated with your keyword.

Andromeda
05-28-2007, 12:52 AM
what *really* helps is getting inbound links that are associated with your keyword.

domedia, could you explain this a bit more? What do you mean by links being associated to keywords? Surely links just link to your page, how are the keywords connected to this?

edbr
05-28-2007, 07:27 AM
there are so many factors , and penalties Bold italics then hi h2 h3 tags in order, repetition of key word so as I have villas site , villas are mentioned several times as well as in the title. sites using layers are supposed to have a slight edge (cleaner code)
If you over stuff with keywords however you can be penalised. There are some optimising sites on line that give an analysis without cost that will give you a breakdown but I treat these as a guideline.
above all submit to directories as this will give you a boost, do not give too many reciprical links as this seems to push you back some.

domedia
05-28-2007, 10:36 PM
domedia, could you explain this a bit more? What do you mean by links being associated to keywords? Surely links just link to your page, how are the keywords connected to this?
edbr gives some really nice seo tips everyone should follow.

As far the links go, a search engine like Google will look upon a link to your site kinda as a 'vote' for it. The more votes you get from other pages, the higher PageRank you get. PageRank is one of the very important factors in getting high in the search result pages. To find out if your page is a good match for the keyword that was searched for, it will also look at which words were linked, when linked to your page. A link like <a href="http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/" title="Forum for Dreamweaver Users">Dreamweaver Forum</a> will be very nice for this site. Google knows that other people view this site as a 'dreamweaver forum' site, and this will help this site when people search for 'dreamweaver forum'. I added the title attribute that works like a tooltip when mousing over the link. This gives the link even more meaning for search engines.

I'm pretty sure Google (maybe others) also will look at words that are close to the linked word, other keywords that are part of the same context. This is useful to separate for example between the song 'Dreamweaver', and the software 'Dreamweaver' ;-)

pam
05-29-2007, 06:08 AM
This came up #1 in google for me:
300 Multiple Choices (http://www.martinprints.co.uk/index)

... with names similar to the one you requested. Available documents:. /index.html (common basename). Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.martinprints.co.uk Port 80.
www.martinprints.co.uk/index - 1k - Cached (http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:CJVfs7taVYAJ:www.martinprints.co.uk/index+martinprints&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us) - Similar pages (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-36,GGGL:en&q=related:www.martinprints.co.uk/index)

diesel77
05-29-2007, 06:42 AM
you need to change your meta name="Description in your source code
you have a list of keywords instead of a description about your site.

example
<meta name="Description" content=" martinprints, red, tulip, contemporary, autumn, leaves, trees, large, dahlia, maple, print, buy, picture, unframed, " />

what you should have

<meta name="Description" content=" Type a description about your site and what someone could find here " />

this is the text that will show up in the google search

when i type in www.martinprints.co.uk into the google search
your site shows up which means it has been indexed.

when the google bot crawled your site it picked up the first few lines of text it found.

"with names similar to the one you requested. Available documents:. /index.html (common basename). Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.martinprints.co.uk Port 80."

this is the page it links to http://www.martinprints.co.uk/index
(no .html on the end)

maybe you didnt have a index file as your main page at the time

Im guessing the only thing you could do right now is wait untill you get indexed again.

Tip: change your title at the top to a H1 tag <h1>martin prints contemporary photographic artwork</h1>

PS: martinprints.co.uk/price_list.html is also indexed

your index file only seems to be a problem on "search pages from the uk" ..you are indexed fine on "search the web"

search the web shows the keywords you have written in your meta description tag.

domedia
05-29-2007, 03:23 PM
In my experience Google will only display your meta description in the Search Engine Result Page (SERP) if it thinks there's no real descriptive text on the page itself. Adding a meta description (even though it rarely helps with SEO), is a good practice though, and should be a descriptive sentence like Diesel says.

martinprints
05-30-2007, 09:47 AM
thanks to every one for the replies...

my problem is not the ratings - or the position in the google listings...

it is that i cannot find my website on the google search engine AT ALL...

google search engine cannot find my website if i type one of the keywords e.g. "martinprints"...

but it CAN find my website if i put the full www.martinprints.co.uk (http://www.martinprints.co.uk) into the addresss bar....

this is what seems strange to me...:roll: ??

domedia
05-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Google does have a cached copy of your site, so it has crawled it and knows you're there.
You have 0 backlinks as far as Google knows.
Increasing that number plus the other tips in this thread will help you.

But right now Google thinks your site is pretty insignificant :-/

diesel77
05-30-2007, 05:00 PM
The word martinprints (one word) is indexed in google search, but the term martin prints (two words) isnt.

If you want "martin prints (two words)" to come up in the search, then you would need to use this as a keyword in your articles, heading tags, maybe even your description meta tag.

Keyword meta tags are not supposed to be that effective with google but you could try adding it in there to.

martinprints
05-30-2007, 06:25 PM
Google does have a cached copy of your site, so it has crawled it and knows you're there.
You have 0 backlinks as far as Google knows.
Increasing that number plus the other tips in this thread will help you.

But right now Google thinks your site is pretty insignificant :-/

O backlinks?
perhaps you can give some more information about what backlinks are?
:lol:

martinprints
05-30-2007, 06:36 PM
:roll: O.K. Guys...have been trying some of the tips...:grin:
...have put a description in the meta name...
...have changed header on home page to <h1> tags with immediate BOLDER heading appearance...(thanx)
...and have investigated SEO site...(will need to invest some time in that one)...

and

by going from AOL...to Google before i search..can sort of find my site!

BUT:rolleyes:

seems to be going the long way round to get there (i.e. via the price list page!!)

...not sure why it doesn`t go direct to the index (homepage)..and all that "apache" and "port 80" stuff means zilch to me...will wait till i get a visit from the google bot again to see if it makes any difference??

domedia
05-30-2007, 06:52 PM
It's going to take some weeks before you'll see any results of seo work, it's not instant

martinprints
05-30-2007, 07:31 PM
it has occured to me that some recent problems i have had may be the reason why google cannot find my index (homepage):-

some months ago i had a major hardware crash, and, since then (due to my limited knowledge of initiating my website in the first place - i.e. more luck than understanding in getting it up and running i think) - i have been maintaining my site in a rather unconventional way:-

after the crash - i coudnt get any sincronisation between my local site and my remote site - BUT i could retrieve my remote site from my server through dreamweaver, and have therefore been updating my pages by retrieving each page from there to work on directly - eliminating the use of a local site altogether!!!

anyone heard of this before?? and could it be why google can`t find my index page??

domedia
05-31-2007, 01:55 PM
Google *can* find your homepage, it's just that it doesn't think it's significant enough to display as a search result. The tips you've been given should give some results in a couple of weeks if you've followed them.