PDA

View Full Version : should i use flash for this image map...?

Agent007
05-17-2007, 07:24 PM
I have a map of the world and I want to creat an image map on each country so that when you roll over any given country, information specific to that country pops up in a small box. I have the map as an image in photoshop. Should I use flash to create this sophisticated image map? If so, how do I bring the image in fo flash and how do I select specific regions (the countries) on the map for mouseOver/click functions?

davidj
05-17-2007, 09:41 PM
you can use flash or html

you can use image maps on a jpg's and gif's

why do you want to use flash

Agent007
05-17-2007, 11:13 PM
I was thinking flash because I was told to use flash when I asked a friend for advice.

How can I do an image map for something so jagged such as the outline of France? Everything seems to be rectangular. Can you please give me an example? Thanks.

davidj
05-17-2007, 11:18 PM
in dreamwaver there is a map creation button which appears when you select an image.

first insert your image in the page then select it. In the bottom right corner of the properties panel you should see a blue circle, square, and free tool. Use the free tool to trace an image map around the countries then just treat them as a normal link like a hotspot

Agent007
05-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Thanks David. The problem, though, when I try to do this, is that any point i put down with the Free Tool is much larger than 1 pixel. Can I adjust the size of the points with the free tool?

davidj
05-17-2007, 11:42 PM
you can but creating a map that is 1 pixel is a bad idea because you need to be able click it

the only thing to do would be to roughly trace a country and use a larger image

Agent007
05-18-2007, 12:20 AM
I mean just the width of each line, so that I can go around and outline the country. How do I change the size of the points?

Agent007
05-18-2007, 03:52 AM
This is what I mean (the image of Alaska). See how the points are much larger than the pixels? The points must be smaller so I can fit them into the tightest spots making the map over every pixel of the state. If the points can't be made smaller, how else can this be done?

davidj
05-18-2007, 06:45 AM
the points are just that size because they are handles for dragging out the shape. when you save it off and then F12 the page the points disappear

Agent007
05-18-2007, 04:02 PM
That sucks. Now I have points so close to eachother they overlap. How am I supposed to adjust things if I can't see because the "handles" are in the way. The only other way I see to do this is type the coordinates in manually and check the design after each time I do it (which will ultimately be thousands of times). There must be an easier way to do this.

davidj
05-18-2007, 04:29 PM
nope

dont think so

image maps were only there to seperate large images into sections. Its not realley used for what your after but thats the only way i can think of.

You could try this in flash but it will take allot longer

domedia
05-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Noone follows the coastline/border so detailed when they make imagemaps.
Since the user cannot see the lines, just create a rough outline of the borders. It's more than enough.