PDA

View Full Version : Building Template with Navigation?

Cassetti
05-15-2007, 02:48 PM
Hey, Question for you guys,

I am new to Dreamweaver MX, I'm pretty much a newbie to Dreamweaver all together.

I'm very interested in using the templates to build a new site for my job. We are a small international corporation in the IT industry.

I want to build a site that resembles this site: http://www.sterlingcommerce.com/

I have one question though: Is it possible to build these templates such that it generates a side bar navigation for each page that lists all the children pages for that folder (there will be 4 sections of the site, each folder will have an index.html and several children pages, possibly several folders also)

To understand what i'm saying - take a look at another page of the same site: http://www.sterlingcommerce.com/About/

Or is it simply better to build one navigation on the side

Now before you say anything about using a CMS (Content Management System) - We already tried that - I used OpenCMS - but unfortunately our Main engineer has concerns about security - and will not let us use it - which SUCKS because i had the site already built - navigation stuff and all!

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated before i begin building site!

Meeguk
05-16-2007, 06:03 AM
I have some of the same questions. I'm building an index page that I want to later modify to make into a template for other site pages.

I've done most of the work in Photoshop/ImageReady. I used mostly layers for the header/logo and navigation area with layers as background colors. Is this a good idea for the content area also, or should I use tables or frames for the content area.

I'm going to 'rent' out the content area to other users to do as they wish and need to Keep It Simple Stupid as possibe.

I've really not seen any advice in this area. Much advise is how to create a web page using different methods, but none that say which is the best and why. I think CSS is the way to go for text, but I'm talking layout now.

Where do I go for the info I need?

Meeguk
05-16-2007, 07:08 AM
Since I can't edit my last post, I'll post again.

Is there a tutorial that lays a foundation before beginning to teach HOW to create a website? Some WHYS things are done they way they are instead of just jumping into the HOWs of Dreamweaver?

I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing for the right reasons instead of just doing what I've been taught w/o knowing why I'm doing it the way I am.

Meeguk
05-19-2007, 01:05 AM
No one has answered this thread. I've noticed even the tutorials start using HTML code to solve problems users are having with DW. I thought DW was a program for people who want to launch a web site w/o learning HTML code?

Aren't there fixes for these problems that keep popping up w/o resorting to using html code? I guess not.

domedia
05-19-2007, 05:26 PM
I thought DW was a program for people who want to launch a web site w/o learning HTML code? . That's probably where the confusion lies :( There's no way you can make a website in DW without knowing the basics of a webpage.

Meeguk
05-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Thanks, I'm learning the 'basics' now.

Meeguk
05-20-2007, 08:49 AM
Found a great HTML tutorial with the basics and a testable Editor here

http://www.w3schools.com

domedia
05-20-2007, 04:17 PM
w3schools is a great resource, thanks :)