PDA

View Full Version : Charging Clients

Karkar
05-15-2007, 02:46 AM
This is probably not the right forum to post this topic in... sorry! I didn;t know where else to go... But anyways...

When you're making a website for a client, do you charge them hourly? Do you tell them how much it's going to be before you even make it?

If it's hourly, how can you prove to your client that you did infact work for X amount of hours?

Thanks in advance!

davidj
05-15-2007, 04:53 AM
Clients want the world for as little as possible. Thats life.

Its best to agree on a figure for work done as the client understands from the begining how much he is going pay and for what work.

NOTE: documentation, documentation, documentation

document everything and avoid scope creep

you need to draw up a contract which specifies the work your going to do for the quoted figure. Make this as accurate and detailed as possible. If you do this then the client wont try and take your eyes out by adding stealth work like "can you put a couple of form fields in there" or "can you make it so i can login and change it myself" This happens all the time and you have to resist the urge to do these requests because your a nice person. You dont want to spoil your relationship with your client so maybe the first time they ask for additional work just say "i will do it this time but will have to invoice you next time" This tips them off that your not an ogre but are not a walkover either.

When you quote for work dont under charge. The method is to work out how long you think the work will take then just multiply this by your hourly rate. Remember that your working for yourself and your not on the minimum wage.

Contractors in my field command 70k ! so work out what your worth and stick to it.

chriskq
05-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Dj identifies some very good points.

i myself do not freelance as a sole propriator, but instead work with a freelance designer on some projects outside of work hours.

A Few things that i have come to learn thou:
1. Always get the client to sign off on a design (do not start work until they sign off - you then can charge change requests when they ask for things to be changed)
2. Its a good idea (and great motivation in my view) if you can agree to be paid half of the overall cost before development or design starts.
3. Never put the website LIVE until they have paid you something at least. (you gotta take care of ur own back first and foremost, otherwise you may wish you were in another profession as clients can become the death of you)

davidj
05-15-2007, 08:18 AM
this would be the best job in the world if you didnt have to deal with clients!

Karkar
05-16-2007, 08:43 AM
lol. Awesome. Thanks guys.