PDA

View Full Version : looking for some opinions

craig
05-09-2007, 11:20 AM
http://www.craighigginbottom.co.uk/

I have just got around to designing my own portfolio website and wanted some opinions with regaurds to ways i could improve on the design i have before i go any further. i know at the moment that the code needs a little tidying up so that it is all divs and not so many nested tables.

Thanks Guys!

domedia
05-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Hi Craig

Good:
-Consistent
-loads fast
-easy to navigate
-like the color scheme, maybe a little to light blue?

Bad:
-frames, impossible to bookmark any page but the homepage (search engines will have the same problem)
-Light blue text on white background
-spelling. ie 'exsperiance '

bottom line I like it, good luck with your business!

davidj
05-09-2007, 03:02 PM
its a nice clean design and a high five goes out to you for completing that course.

what you have to ask is what is the site for? What does it do? and why is it there?

Are you looking for a job in the industry and this site is a showcase for employers or is this site your front door to your web design company?

yes we all agree its a nice clean site but today you need something more than clean if your wanting to make an impact. You are in the industry where everyone is an artist and everyone wants a slice of the pie so you have to pull out all the stops in order to give the WoW factor.

If this is a showcase site for you to send potential employers to then its fine but if your wanting to generate business from it then your going to have to do a bit of a rethink... you need to be a bit Off the Wall with your design.

let me know if it is your web dev company front door and i will post more info

craig
05-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the comments

The website is to send along with my cv to perspective employers not to generate bussiness. i think i need to gain some more skills on the development side before i start freelanceing proffesionaly thats not to say i wont be doing any on the side but my main priority is to try and gain employment within a webdesign agancy/company.

I will spell check the site at some point today was ment to before i put it up but forgot Doh!!

The frames is because i dont know yet if the free host i am useing at the minute is the host i am going to use when its finished and i did not want to have to transfer the domain name twice so i just used the free fetures i got the domain name from.

As for the light blue on a white background i know what you are saying there and i seem to have the same problem with color schemes i have tryed lots of differnt colors for the text you are talking about but could not find one that went 100% with the design any suggestions??

Thanks again guys :smile:

d a v e
05-09-2007, 05:48 PM
#657E96 for blue??

too many drop shadows - especially on the the web address on the right where the font is too small (and serif fonts in particular need to be large for drop shadows not to look murky)

it's quite nice and clena looking but a bit too wishy-washy - needs a bit more zing ;)

craig
05-09-2007, 06:55 PM
I am just sorting out the domain name at the minute so you wont be able to get on my website until later just thought i would let you know before some smart ass makes a comment about the ukreg standard page:grin: