PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop user looking for website tips

noobie
05-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Hi guys, stumbled across this forum while looking for a solution to a problem that has arisen during my first web page build. I have been using Photoshop for a little while and have decided to try and create a site in Dreamweaver MX with the help of slices. So far things are not going too bad but there is one major problem (more than likely with an easy solution which I am yet unaware of) which is stopping me from progressing any further.

I have uploaded the sample site as it stands at the moment so you will get a better idea if what I am talking about. http://www.ace-electrics.com/mjfarriers

Basically I will be stretching the white area at the bottom of the page for the content of the site. This is where I find I am at a loss as I will also be adding images to this area but cannot seem to find a way of merging the two. I would like the text to wrap around the image but when I add the image the text will not remain in line with it and creates a gap. I have been looking for some kind of text area tool to draw out the areas that I will be adding text, is there such a feature on Dreamweaver?

Any advice gratefully received. Many thanks in advance.

noobie
05-09-2007, 03:39 PM
No ideas?

Perhaps if I make what I am trying to achieve a little clearer. After looking for an example I have found this

http://www.offexploring.com/journal/site/about.php

The words and images are incorporated in to the same part of the page. In some parts the text goes from being placed alongside the image to underneath. Is there a simple way of doing this in dreamweaver after using slices?

Cheers

noobie
05-10-2007, 10:03 AM
Lol this forum is a hive of activity. I cant believe no-one knows the solution.

edbr
05-10-2007, 10:28 AM
I am not sure this can be achieved with tables but I am not sure. If you look at the page source for the example you gave you will see it is done using divisions (or layers if you prefer).
That is how i would do it any way.

noobie
05-10-2007, 10:33 AM
I am not sure this can be achieved with tables but I am not sure. If you look at the page source for the example you gave you will see it is done using divisions (or layers if you prefer).
That is how i would do it any way.

Thank you for your help. I will look in to it as I still have no idea what you just said.

edbr
05-10-2007, 10:48 AM
check it out,we are here to help

noobie
05-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Thank you. Having gone to

INSRT > LAYOUT OBJECT > LAYER

I think I am going to be able to do whats needed. Many many thanks.

Will post up a link when the site is completed.

davidj
05-10-2007, 10:53 AM
you need to understand the basics of the web and its named convensions like layers or <div's

how can you ask for help when you dont understand the answers

you need to cover some basic tutorials and maybe follow some book examples just to help you learn the terminology.

its a good starting point anyway

noobie
05-10-2007, 10:56 AM
you need to understand the basics of the web and its named convensions like layers or <div's

how can you ask for help when you dont understand the answers

you need to cover some basic tutorials and maybe follow some book examples just to help you learn the terminology.

its a good starting point anyway

Calm down fella I was just looking for a little hint as I am new to all of this. It wasn't that difficult to decipher, its all done and dusted and after all isn't rocket science. Put your dummy back in.

sp* conventions.

davidj
05-10-2007, 11:07 AM
whoaa

that was abit sharp

Pike.. put him on the list!

and after all isn't rocket science

grammar* and after all it isn't rocket science