PDA

View Full Version : Improvements

markcook
05-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Hey All,

I was wondering if you could check out my website www.thirskcricket.co.uk (http://www.thirskcricket.co.uk) and see what you think.

I need suggestions for improvements, however i am only just getting started designing websites, so i cant do very complex things with it, only basics.

Thanks
Mark Cook
Thirsk CC

Andromeda
05-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Hi Mark

Although your page doesn't have the "wow" factor it is well laid out and clear and Thirsk Cricket I'm sure will be grateful for thesite you have designed them.

Just two things which I hope will be helpful, if you haven't got one already it may be helpful to have a "contact us" link where people can email you or whoever. I couldn't find one but I only looked at the site quickly and I haven't got my glasses on! Secondly, on the fantasy league page - all those coloured lines are giving me a headache (yes I know, I should put my glasses on!). They're a bit unkind to the eyes. Otherwise well done, it's a good, functionable site.

Andromeda
05-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Just two more things now that I've found my glasses. You should title your pages, at the moment all you have are "untitled documents". Also if you go to the fantasy league page and click on one of the names, the page it takes to you has all the info you need but then there is a HUGE amount a blank space below this info which you could do with getting rid of.

davidj
05-04-2007, 09:01 PM
it needs designing

also i am getting a language pack (arabic) download prompt when i first launch the site???

markcook
05-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Now then

Andromeda - Thanks for your comments, I have tried naming my pages, however because i am using framesets it doesnt seem to let me do it. I am trying using Page Properties>Title.... Is there any way i can do this that will work? I will get rid of all the extra space on the team pages for fantasy league.

DavidJ - I dont know how to get rid of the arabic thing, as it comes up on my desktop computer but never on the laptop i use to make the website on. When you say it needs designing...i know it isnt the best website in the world but i am a cricketer making a website for our cricket club, not a website designer making a website for our cricket club. As this is the only website i work on i dont have any experience of designing, layout or anything from other websites, and also have no qualifications, training or degree in website desgin either. So i would appreicate constructive comments to help me improve the website, and not ones critasizing the work i do for free in my own time for the cricket club.

davidj
05-05-2007, 11:20 PM
OK that touched a nerve...

please don't ask for a critique if you don't think your going to like the response

1st lesson is to learn to accept criticism although i just advised that you want to revisit the design (no real biggy)

maybe next time mate you need to phrase your post like this...

"apart from the design please critique my site i lovingly did in my own free time for my beloved cricket club but dont say anthing bad or nasty"

instead of a rant maybe you could have asked...

"cheers mate but im not a great designer.. could you advise me further"

That would have carried more respect

Andromeda
05-06-2007, 02:55 AM
I have tried naming my pages, however because i am using framesets it doesnt seem to let me do it. I am trying using Page Properties>Title.... Is there any way i can do this that will work?

I had forgotten that was a problem with frames but I think you should be able to title something whether it's the main frame or something else so that your web site at least has some title. Not sure how to do this though as I haven't used frames for a very long time.

markcook
05-06-2007, 03:56 PM
David

My post may have been a bit harsh, however I interpreted your comment that ‘it needs designing’ as being your way of saying that it isn’t very good and needs totally redesigning.

I certainly wasn’t looking for everyone to ‘critique my website lovingly’ and say its great, because I know that it isn’t that’s why I am asking for improvements.

I was hoping for more comments like the ones from Andromeda offering real suggestions for improvements. From what he has said I have actually tried to use the feedback and make my site better. Not overall generalisations about the site as a whole.

If you tried playing cricket i wouldnt just use a dismissive comment like 'you have no technique at all', but would give suggestions on what you should be doing and how to get better. This is what i was hopeing you would do in the world of web design. Obviously not.

Finally, avoiding sarcastic comments like ‘maybee you should phrase your post like this’ as this would carry more respect.

Cheers
Mark

davidj
05-06-2007, 04:03 PM
however I interpreted your comment that ‘it needs designing’ as being your way of saying that it isn’t very good and needs totally redesigning.yes thats what i meant
that’s why I am asking for improvements.yep thats what i advised
From what he has said I have actually tried to use the feedback and make my site better.
err.... she said !! Andromeda is a she!!
Not overall generalisations about the site as a whole.how can you pussy foot around a sugestion of redesign.. err it looks good apart from your back ground and foreground!
Finally, avoiding sarcastic comments like ‘maybee you should phrase your post like this’ as this would carry more respect.
that wasnt the sarcastic bit...

apart from the design please critique my site i lovingly did in my own free time for my beloved cricket club but dont say anthing bad or nasty"
that bit was!

markcook
05-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Hit a nerve there have we.

I suggest that you just keep quiet and stop making your self look like a complete tool.

davidj
05-06-2007, 06:46 PM
ok sorry pal

your site is excellent

hehe

edbr
05-07-2007, 06:03 AM
New innings I think!

Mark I thought both the Banner and side bar a bit overpowering. I think both would look better smaller and perhaps not such a strong colour. It take away from your content.
I think that the images could have the text wrapped around them, more 'newspaper column' style.

edbr
05-07-2007, 06:07 AM
make your headings a little larger, and the logo for Carlton commercials is a bit of a mistery it looks out of place and does not explain why it is there.

davidj
05-07-2007, 11:42 AM
thats what i said!..

only in less words!

davidj
05-07-2007, 04:51 PM
ok mark

i apologise

i remember when i started doing this stuff and can recall when i built my first site and was over the moon.

I understand that you put allot of work into this and i humbly appologise for my attatude.

let me repay my coments with some one to one advice and lets get this site upto a pro standard.

domedia
05-07-2007, 04:56 PM
I was going to give some suggestions, but I'll stay out of this one ;)
*backsteps carefully*

PS: the arabic download comes up because you specified your document to use an Arabic character set, dos720.

kona72
05-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Make sure that all your images are sized accordingly. Do not rely on HTML to resize the images; use Photoshop and resize tham both physical and dpi. The one image in particular is Juniors.jpg on the site it is resized to 700px by 500px where in reality it is 2288px by 1712 at 790 kb. This will slow down the site dramatically. If it was resized it could be as small as 280kb as a high quality JPEG.