PDA

View Full Version : Need help diagnosing a problem, please.

fishugly
04-30-2007, 04:59 PM
I made a small change in content to one of my pages and some how, got a large gap on the top and bottom. Rather than trying to explain, check out the link below then click on "sleeping bags" to the left in the menu to see how things are supposed to look: http://www.earthenexposure.com/kayaking/sleepingpads.htm

I looked at the code and on line 8, I see an issue but that appears to be in the template. However, I did not make changes to the template.

Any ideas?

domedia
04-30-2007, 05:07 PM
<td height="4048">
You're forcing the height, just remove the height attribute and the table will adjust automatically

fishugly
04-30-2007, 05:52 PM
<td height="4048">
You're forcing the height, just remove the height attribute and the table will adjust automatically

I don't know how that got in there but removing it worked. I appreciate the help!

fishugly
04-30-2007, 07:57 PM
I don't know how that got in there but removing it worked. I appreciate the help!

Hmmm....so I went back in to that page to make another change and now there's nothing to be seen. Everything is there in "code" view yet nothing is in "design" view.

Any ideas with this one?

Andromeda
04-30-2007, 08:24 PM
Do you mean the page looks completely blank?

Can you post the code?

fishugly
04-30-2007, 08:52 PM
Do you mean the page looks completely blank?

Can you post the code?

Yes.

And to answer your second question, do you mean for me to copy the code then paste it here? It's a decent sized page ( http://www.earthenexposure.com/kayaking/sleepingpads.htm )

fishugly
04-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Yes.

And to answer your second question, do you mean for me to copy the code then paste it here? It's a decent sized page ( http://www.earthenexposure.com/kayaking/sleepingpads.htm )

I should also note that when I move the cursor around on the empty page, it turns in to the circle with line through it...as if I'm in the template region that's locked down.

WTF?

Andromeda
04-30-2007, 10:52 PM
When I look at the link you've given me I see the page with the text and image.

You say that you made a small change to the content of your page, maybe that small change has affected the page in some way so yes, if the code is in anyway different to the page online post the code here.

fishugly
04-30-2007, 11:49 PM
When I look at the link you've given me I see the page with the text and image.

You say that you made a small change to the content of your page, maybe that small change has affected the page in some way so yes, if the code is in anyway different to the page online post the code here.

Notice the differences on line 8 between the below codes.

Here's the code on the screwed up page in question:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html><!-- InstanceBegin template="../Templates/selfsupport.dwt" codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" -->
<head>
<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->
<title>Earthen Exposure: sleeping pads</title>
<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="head" --><!-- InstanceEndEditable -->
<style type="text/css">
<!--
-->
</style>
<link href="LINKS.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
</head>

Here's the code on another page that is fine:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html><!-- InstanceBegin template="../Templates/selfsupport.dwt" codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" -->
<head>
<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->
<title>Earthen Exposure: sleeping bags</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="head" -->
<link href="../Templates/LINKS.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
<style type="text/css">
<!--
-->
</style>
<link href="LINKS.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
</head>

I thought I just needed to get rid of <!-- InstanceEndEditable --> but it's locked up in the template. Plus, I made no changes to the template so how did it get there?

chriskq
05-02-2007, 01:19 AM
anything with <!-- .... -->

is just for comments. Therefore it will not affect the outputted code.

you have only given code from the <head> tags.
Wheres the actual page code content.

ps - http://www.earthenexposure.com/kayaking/sleepingpads.htm - that page looks fine to me

fishugly
05-02-2007, 05:01 PM
anything with <!-- .... -->

is just for comments. Therefore it will not affect the outputted code.

you have only given code from the <head> tags.
Wheres the actual page code content.

ps - http://www.earthenexposure.com/kayaking/sleepingpads.htm - that page looks fine to me

Yes, that page is fine and looks just how I intended it to. No problem there. HOWEVER, when I open that file in DW, all I get is a blank page. The code is there but that's it. I need to go in and make changes but can't being that I don't understand code. Therefore, I need to make the changes in the "design" view.

Any ideas?

davidj
05-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Learn to code!

davidj
05-03-2007, 10:02 AM
a web designer without coding skills is like a one legged marathon runner

fishugly
05-03-2007, 02:23 PM
a web designer without coding skills is like a one legged marathon runner

Hey, nothing wrong with a good challenge now and then.... :-)

Was hoping for a magic button here but it would seem far easier for me to just build another page and overwrite that file.

Thanks.

davidj
05-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Was hoping for a magic button

thats the classic request from non coders

fish this isnt aimed at you directly. this goes out to all none coders

please understand

it would be unfair on you and me if i was to help with code that hasnt been hand coded

if i was to help by giving advice and clues to where your going wrong you wouldnt understand my advice which means the majority of non coders want the solution to their problem written for them so they can cut and paste.

also if you hand code stuff in dreamweaver after using the tools you will render most of the shortcut tools, wizards and panels broken, so if you dont understand the code and the tools, wizards and panels dont work anymore, your in the shite! This then escelates into 20 more problems which we have to fix because it was us who wrote the code that broke dreamweaver in the first place.

i have to draw the line personally and this is not a dreamweaverclub decision its just my personel one.

fishugly
05-03-2007, 03:55 PM
thats the classic request from non coders

fish this isnt aimed at you directly. this goes out to all none coders

please understand

it would be unfair on you and me if i was to help with code that hasnt been hand coded

if i was to help by giving advice and clues to where your going wrong you wouldnt understand my advice which means the majority of non coders want the solution to their problem written for them so they can cut and paste.

also if you hand code stuff in dreamweaver after using the tools you will render most of the shortcut tools, wizards and panels broken, so if you dont understand the code and the tools, wizards and panels dont work anymore, your in the shite! This then escelates into 20 more problems which we have to fix because it was us who wrote the code that broke dreamweaver in the first place.

i have to draw the line personally and this is not a dreamweaverclub decision its just my personel one.

Point well taken. I said what I did with toungue-in-cheek though. I'm aware of the importance of coding...especially after this issue hit. I'm just at a point in my life that I'm severely scrambling and have not had the time to learn coding. I apprecieate all the help you and others have given me here.:-)