PDA

View Full Version : Creating a forum... such as this

Karkar
04-30-2007, 11:15 AM
Sigh. I am sometimes too thirsty for knowledge! Putting my beef with php, mysql and apache stuff aside for the moment... how exactly do forums work? such as this one. It is built in the DWclub page, such as all professional websites have.
This is obviously different from free forum hosts such as forumer, where your forum is seperate from your actual website.

Is your forum hosted by your ISP? or is it completely different? Simply a code you add?

OR, is it made from scratch????

Thanks in advance,
Karkar

davidj
04-30-2007, 12:34 PM
vbulletin (this forum) is a commercial product that installs and works once the install wizard has run

http://www.vbulletin.com/

there are some configuration changes to be made and the options are vast as well as skinning the thing

you can skin any forum to look like your site

this forum works using PHP and MYSQL

you looking for an easier option?

domedia
04-30-2007, 01:10 PM
There is no 'simple' code you can just add to run your own forum on your own server :)

Most of the time though, it only takes a basic understanding of how to set up a database, and the software will have an installation script to do the rest for you.

If you're looking for some open source options (like DJ mentioned, vbulletin is commercial software), then have a look over at http://www.opensourcecms.com/

davidj
04-30-2007, 01:15 PM
if this stuff (coding) is a chore and you are lookng for a quick fix where your solution is easy with no learning involved then let me know and i will tell you how this is done

Karkar
04-30-2007, 01:35 PM
I suppose that would be an option. What is the quick fix?

davidj
04-30-2007, 03:20 PM
ok - > get someone else to do it!

please forgive my reply

honestly there is no quick fix and if you want this done now then that is your only option. You have to want to learn PHP and understand that there will be a learning curve which will take some time. There is no shortcut. If this is a chore and you dont enjoy the aspect of learning to code then your going to have to admit it to yourself that this coding malarky isnt for you.

it doesnt suit everyone.

I had a junior developer a while ago who hated coding unless it was drag-n-drop HTML. I offered him my knowledge but he refused and left for a designers job for half the salary!

wonder what he is doing now and if the penny dropped that he made the biggest mistake of his life. Or was content with his decision and is still knocking out static sites and is very happy!... Mmm i wonder

Karkar
05-01-2007, 06:30 AM
I want to learn! I really do. If the quick fix is getting someone else to do it, I would rather take the long road.

I will continue watching your tutorials and learn as much as I can.

Thanks for help