PDA

View Full Version : Server-Side Code Problem

padi
04-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Hi

First of all let me say a big hello to all you DW experts out in cyberspace, I hope to take an active part in the forum wher I can but it may take soem time.. Me, well this is my 1st post and I am an absolute newbie with regards websites, DW and the like but I learn pretty fast. I have taken over my own site from the guys who were doing SEO and website maintenance before and the first thing I did was download a copy of my sites (I have a few) to my computer.

I have a copy of DW MX2004 but have now upgraded to DW version 8. I have tried to set up the site and all things sem to have gone well except I get this message when I want to view in browser.

'To preview pages containing serverside code, you need a testing server. Would you like to specify one now'

So my questions are:

As I have downloaded my complete site from the server (as a working copy) before I upload files new or updated the server has added 'code' ?

All I am trying to do is view files locally in my browsers

3rd and last please helpppppppppppp (does begging work on this forum?

Regards

Padi

davidj
04-23-2007, 07:58 PM
if the site contains server side code like PHP or ASP then this is going to be bad news.

It wont work! as it is anyway

there is a big possibility that there could be a database backend and im betting you never took a copy of that.

post some code from the site and ill tell you if your in the shite

oh...

welcome to the forum!

padi
04-24-2007, 07:40 AM
Hi DavidJ

Thanks for your speedy response. Well sounds pretty terminal but snippets of code do you need and from where? And now As far as I know I havent downloaded the database and my site is php not html.

Herers hopeing

Regards

Padi

edbr
04-24-2007, 07:47 AM
is your site still on the web?

davidj
04-24-2007, 08:17 AM
I havent downloaded the database and my site is php

well im afraid porting over a php application requires a good knowledge of PHP and MYSQL. I dread these tasks as it can be a nightmare

If you dont understand PHP Code then im afraid your on a looser. Its just not worth doing because the chances are slim that you would crack it. If there is a missing database then your going to have trawl through the code and note all the fields it interacts with then your going to have to construct the db from scratch.

Your better off starting the project from the begining but this time you should learn PHP

padi
04-24-2007, 08:59 AM
Hi Guys

Thanks for the response. In answer to edbr question yes its still up and we are in the same business!! and Davidj thanks for the response. I will just suffer not being able to 'view in browser' option while I am updating and adding new pages then. My site is due, I would have though in the next 12 months for a new site anyway so hopefully I will understand a lot more then on what is the best overall way of putting things up on the web for my particular business.

Thanks again guys

I expect you will be hearing a lot more from me in the coming days, weeks and months as I try and learn this new aspect of the web.

Regards

padi