PDA

View Full Version : Repeated region with record count

Eiolon
04-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Hello,

I am having a problem with a message board I am creating. Basically, I want to show the number of replies for each thread. I've attached a photo of what I am trying to accomplish. Is there a forum tutorial that I could use to accomplish this? Thanks!

davidj
04-21-2007, 05:48 PM
your using php so you have a MYSQL db

you will be inserting your posts for each thread and giving the posts an ID

you need to do a SQL count on each group

Eiolon
04-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Here are my table structures:

topic_id
topic_name
topic_author
topic_date
topic_body
topic_board (board the topic belongs to)

reply_id
reply_author
reply_date
reply_body
reply_topic (topic the reply belongs to)

So I create a recordset to query replies, right? I have tried a combination of things such as what I am attaching.

I am sorry, I do not know PHP to well hence the reason I am using DW and not coding by hand.

Thanks.

davidj
04-21-2007, 06:05 PM
would you like to learn PHP

to be able to understand all the code?

Eiolon
04-21-2007, 06:13 PM
I don't mind learning it I just don't have a lot of time to dedicate to it (maybe 2 hours a week at most) which is why I am using DW. I might even consider using CodeCharge Studio since it looks like forums are a built-in feature. I'll never have the ability to dedicate endless hours of time programming like everyone else.

davidj
04-21-2007, 06:40 PM
you have found the weakness in dreamweaver

once you develop outside of its scope you are buggered (couldnt think of a more appropriate phrase)

and everytime you want to do something else which is outside of its scope you will be asking more questions like this and if you dont know how to code you wont understand the pointers i give without me coding your problem for you

if you can scrape some time together then we can learn this stuff together

just let me know

Eiolon
04-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Okay, well, where do I begin? I've read a couple books on PHP/MySQL and have done the examples in them but as I look back I am not sure if the information in those books would even relate to this problem in general.

davidj
04-21-2007, 06:57 PM
ok

i want you to cover some homework

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/vtm/php-mysql-apache.php

once you have this done we will learn some programming together and you will be building some amazing applications

once you finish the tutorials let me know

if you run into problems just come back

I will give you 100% if you put in the same