PDA

View Full Version : Submit Button

Dave Drew
04-19-2007, 07:31 AM
Very new to Dreamweaver so Im sorry if this is a real basic question. Ive created a submit button for a form on my page. Ive set the Form Properties to:-

POST mailto:myemailaddress.com (myemailaddress.com)

When Ipress the Submit button on my webpage it goes to an Internet Explorer page saying the webpage cant be found.

As I say Im new to Dreamweaver and have transfered my webpage in from Frontpage where the submit button worked so clearly Im missing a page that the submit button takes me to, I think, possibly, maybe:confused:

ANy help appreciated. Thanks

edbr
04-19-2007, 07:36 AM
when you submit a form it is sent to a page to so the code would read for example
<form action="handler.php" method="post">
</form>

it is looking for whatever you have as action

Dave Drew
04-19-2007, 08:53 AM
Thank you for your reply, as I say I really need to be led by the hand on this, where do I input this code?

Whats this handler.php

<form action="handler.php" method="post">
</form>

I'm sure this is all really obvious to you guys, but me well!:confused:

davidj
04-19-2007, 10:14 AM
what your wanting to do is

<form action=mailto:me@domain.com

This is a horrible method and should be avoided

Personaly i like old fashoned mailto links and hate forms for comunicating because i like to retain a copy of my comunication. and if the developer has not built a receipt function then your stuffed.

Just tried to email CWD.dk and there mail sys has been down for months. It looks like it has been abandoned!

chriskq
04-19-2007, 10:47 AM
i kno... whats up wid that Dj. was such a good site.

Dave does ur server handle php?
not hard to whip up a quick form

Dave Drew
04-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Yes it does, but I have no idea about PHP but am keen to learn!

fwr1000
04-19-2007, 03:25 PM
davidj, you mention in this thread that

This is a horrible method and should be avoided when refering to this code

<form action=mailto:me@domain.com

I use the php script that is in the DW Club tutorials by Ramandeep. Is this the better method? Also, I've read about "injection" problems with certian PHP mail scripts. Does the script in the tutorial prevent this?

Thnx
Fred

domedia
04-19-2007, 03:49 PM
always better to use a form script.

'mailto:' simply fires up the default email client on the local system, if there is one.

ramandeeps tut does not cover other security topics like injection. Someone should make one though...

peacock
04-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Yeah if they don't have an email client then they won't be able to load it which is hassle and don't you get a lot more spam just having your link on your site?? Pretty new to it all too so definatly no expert!