PDA

View Full Version : Inserted Flash video with DW8 - not visible online

Xtreme1
04-18-2007, 11:41 AM
Can anyone guess why I cannot see my flash movie on a live web page?

I encoded a .mov file and tested the resultant .swf file in Flash 8 Pro which played fine. I saved the .fla file as Flash suggested. So into my web folder in which I have the .mov file, Flash added the following files:

Julie_interview.fla
Julie_interview.flv
Julie_interview.swf

I opened DW8 and on the relevant web page chose Insert Media/Flash Video and browsed to the .flv file. During the process I chose a skin in DW.

The following is the code that DW wrote:

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="372" height="313" id="FLVPlayer">
<param name="movie" value="FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf" />
<param name="salign" value="lt" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="scale" value="noscale" />
<param name="FlashVars" value="&MM_ComponentVersion=1&skinName=Halo_Skin_3&streamName=julie_interview&autoPlay=false&autoRewind=false" />
<embed src="FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf" flashvars="&MM_ComponentVersion=1&skinName=Halo_Skin_3&streamName=julie_interview&autoPlay=false&autoRewind=false" quality="high" scale="noscale" width="372" height="313" name="FLVPlayer" salign="LT" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
</object>

When I went to FTP the files to the web server I noticed DW had added a file called FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf and the skin file. I FTPd the web page and all flash files to the corresponding folder on the web server.

When I looked at the page on the internet (I forced a refresh with Ctrl-F5) there was nothing to see where I added the flash video. When I preview the web page from DW in a web browser I can see and play the Flash video.

I think I followed the correct procedure in encoding, inserting and uploading to the web server. Can someone please tell me if I've missed a step.

Thanks for any advice.

Xtreme1

chriskq
04-18-2007, 12:41 PM
is the flash swf file in the root directory (like ur index page is for example)

you dont need the fla file on the web server, only flash uses this.

and shouldnt you have .swf on the end of this
streamName=julie_interview

Xtreme1
04-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Hi Chris

I'm also in Sydney :-)

I changed the code DW wrote to include the .swf after both instances of streamName=julie_interview and uploaded the page to the server.

All the Flash-related files are in the folder which houses the .mov file that Flash encoded. In case you meant something should be in the root directory I copied the FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf and julie_interview.swf (I was unsure which of these you meant when you said "flash swf" file) to the root directory and then reloaded the web page. Still nothing.

Is this usually a painless procedure? I've never done this before.

Thanks
xtreme1

domedia
04-18-2007, 02:11 PM
The code snippet looks just fine.. nothing wrong there.

Can we see the url where this is happening?

Xtreme1
04-19-2007, 02:31 AM
Thanks for your response.

I should mention that as part of the process, and with reason, I used Flash 8 to encode the .mov file on my PC. It provided me with the .fla, .flv and .swf files which I then transported to a second PC in order to carry out the DW part of the process. There is a copy of the website on that second PC. I used DW to copy/paste the Flash files into the appropriate folder (I had read they all need to reside in the one folder and I stored them in my Personal_Histories folder which the relevant web page lives).I used an FTP program on that second PC to upload the relevant files to the web server. Perhaps working between the two PCs has screwed something up.

The web page in question is here.

http://heroines.room52.net/Personal_Histories/professor_of_psychiatry1.html

xtreme1

Cary
04-19-2007, 03:26 AM
You should remove the .swf from "streamName=julie_interview.swf" so you just have "streamName=julie_interview". The player expects an .flv extension.

The page requires this javascript, but it can't be found.

<script src="../Scripts/AC_RunActiveContent.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Xtreme1
04-19-2007, 04:04 AM
Cary thank you. I had not noticed that DW had generated a Scripts folder. Once I uploaded this to the server all went well. I actually did not remove the .swf from Julie_interview.swf but it still played okay.

xtreme1

Cary
04-19-2007, 06:06 AM
Everything will work fine as long as javascript is enabled. However, you will still need to remove the .swf extension so the noscript code will find the .flv file for browsers with javascript disabled.

Xtreme1
04-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Cary thank you so much for that last bit of information. I appreciate it and will do as you suggest.

Thanks to all who responded.

xtreme1