PDA

View Full Version : Template/duplicating pg advice?

dsnyder
04-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Iíve created a layout and am not sure the best next step.
Iíve read a bit about templates & also know that I can duplicate a page and rename it.

Iím heavily using CSS to make design changes easy, but what is the best approach so that I donít need to enter the correct link info on each page? It seems that Ďcopyí& Ďpasteí doesnít give working links and will take a long time once the page count gets up. I canít put all links in now as I havenít created all of the new pages yet.

Could anyone give advice on a good way to set this up? Should I turn my page design into a template?

domedia
04-17-2007, 06:26 PM
I think you should either make some include system, where common parts can be included using your server script language of choice, or use the dreamweaver template system to make master template file (.dwt).

If you're not fancying using a server script, a dwt file is definitely a good way to go, dreamweaver tries to make this very simple for you. Help files has plenty of info on it as well :)

Anyone else has some good advice?

fwr1000
04-17-2007, 08:08 PM
I agree that templates are a great way to go for small sites where the "look" of the pages will be similar. You get beyond 5-6 pages your site becomes boring in that each page is so much alike. But for ease or use it's great, especially when used with external CSS style sheets for formatting. By using the style sheet you don't even have to upload all the pages if you make a color, font, font size etc. change.

Just my thoughts after having used Tabel/templates with CSS for a while now.

(OK Dom, I'm still working on CSS, Div and Float layout)

Fred

edbr
04-18-2007, 01:12 AM
my personal preference for what it is worth is to include. I found that it is easiest to make changes as the site develops and changes.
I use it in the site in my sig including menu.txt and have three seperate menus for the 3 languages.

chriskq
04-18-2007, 03:56 AM
yep. definatly use includes. .shtml is prolly the simplest one of them all.

dsnyder
04-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks guys,
Iím studying up on my options. My site is in large part e-commerce. Iíll probably be starting with 30-40pgs.
Iím thinking Ďincludesí would be good but not sure my brain can take more learning right now. Are they really a better idea than templates?(depends on my needs maybe) What about libraries? How do they differ from templates? Might that be a good avenue?

Hey Fred, I have family in Manistee. Nice place

davidj
04-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Iíll probably be starting with 30-40pgs.

this is screaming out to be done dynamically

administrating that is going to be a full time job

dsnyder
04-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Hi David,
administrating that is going to be a full time jobWhy, all I'm doing is adding a new item to a 'Sheet Music Catalogue' table and making a page with the new items details. The site is mostly selling my own work.
thanks for the thoughts

dsnyder
04-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Iím trying to use the DW library feature any getting strange problem. When I turn my nav bar into a library item them add it to a page the font color of my main bar is blue. This only happens on the top level of my menu. All other text color choices are obeyed. The css has the color set to white. Changing the color in the css has no effect on my Ďlibrary menuí but does work correctly in my non library linked pgs.

Any thoughts?

davidj
04-18-2007, 03:42 PM
would it not be better to have all that info in a database and just use 1 page to display the lot

dsnyder
04-18-2007, 03:53 PM
would it not be better to have all that info in a database and just use 1 page to display the lot
Yes. But...what is the learning curve/set up time that that might require? My eyes are really sore from spending the last 1 1/2 weeks working on this...and I really should get back to practicing my cello. I have no idea what the data based way would entail so it scares me. It probably would be helpful however. Should I really look into it?

domedia
04-18-2007, 03:58 PM
If you are serious about running a website, yes. It's possible you might have to choose between the cello and the web, are you comfortable doing that? :shock:
You're aiming high, kudos for that

dsnyder
04-18-2007, 04:15 PM
It's possible you might have to choose between the cello and the web,Oh man, cello pay the bills!
Ok, I'll look into database stuff. Would that mean looking at the PHP material in the tutorial section?

ALSO, regarding my library color issue, is it better to make something like that a new post? Don't want to make too many posts!

domedia
04-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Would that mean looking at the PHP material in the tutorial section? Yes, PHP and MySQL

ALSO, regarding my library color issue, is it better to make something like that a new post? Don't want to make too many posts!Use the Firebug tool to find out which CSS rules are being called to that library, sounds like they're using default browser colors, meaning no CSS.