PDA

View Full Version : Critique my work PLUS help with a small problem

Abouna
04-17-2007, 12:36 AM
Well I've decided this will be the week for site tweaking. I've been working on this (http://www.msocp.com/index.html) site today. Both that page and this (http://www.msocp.com/ordering.htm) one shift to the right in contrast with all the other pages, or I guess I could say all the other pages shift to the left :lol:, i.e. click on any of the other pages and you will see a slight vertical shift. Not a big deal but bugs me to no end.

Not sure what is causing this. I build all my pages from the first page which I use as the master (in this case I started with the Index page), I work in layers and then convert to tables (I know this isn't the most elegant but it's all I know).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Other critiques would also be helpful.

Cheers.

edbr
04-17-2007, 03:14 AM
well your site looks clean and clear. looking at the code however it is awash with tables and I am guessing your position problems are from the widths of your tables throwing it off.
why not try to make the pages using layer. It will be cleaner code and easier to tweak and position

chriskq
04-17-2007, 03:39 AM
i agree with edbr, ur site looks clean and simple. Althou it could use abit more structure (but i think this should be decided on before development begins)

have u ever experimented with css and using divs before instead of tables?

Andromeda
04-17-2007, 03:47 AM
Yes I agree with ed, your positioning problem probably does have to do with the tables.

Does your table structure have to be so complicated? You seem to have unnessasary columns in your table. You could probably simplify it. Or as Ed suggested use layers.

Regarding the look of the site, it's easy to navigate and does the job although I personally think that pages with "coming soon" on them don't look terribly professional - but that's just a personal opinion.

Abouna
04-17-2007, 04:47 AM
Thanks everyone.

As for the tables/layers comments. Not sure what is being suggested (my ignorance). I do build in layers and then convert to tables. It was my understanding that converting to tables (i.e. not leaving the site in layers) is more stable. Is this incorrect? Do most the new browsers do layers well enough on their own?

I've never done any CSS or Divs and wouldn't know where to begin, though I'm not averse to it.

Finally, I fully agree with Andromeda concerning the "coming soon" note. I never do this, but I just put that page up today and wanted something to hold the place. I'll probably finish it tomorrow.

Please keep the comments coming and advice.

Cheers.

edbr
04-17-2007, 06:18 AM
if you build your page in layers why not do that then post your code and we can help you with the next steps.
As for browsers there is a general step away from tables and search engine robots seem to prefer them.

domedia
04-17-2007, 01:03 PM
It was my understanding that converting to tables (i.e. not leaving the site in layers) is more stable. Is this incorrect? Yes. I'ts not necessarily less stable, but I would argue it's not more stable. Especially when you're doing a conversion like that.

Do most the new browsers do layers well enough on their own? Absolutely :) Look at aol.com, wired.com, yahoo.com etc.
Plenty of other websites still designed with tables, but nothing should stop you from letting CSS do the styles and layout instead.

Abouna
04-17-2007, 02:14 PM
Absolutely :) Look at aol.com, wired.com, yahoo.com etc. Plenty of other websites still designed with tables, but nothing should stop you from letting CSS do the styles and layout instead.

OK, I'm plenty in favor of doing that. When I first started using DW (3) I used to do just layers and post the pages that way. However a friend who is much more experienced than I (a professional for MS actually, I'm just do this on the side) suggested that the pages would stay "as designed" if I converted to tables. In other words, the text and such would be contrainted to where i wanted it regardless of browser. This was all several years ago though.

Please help me here, if I design strictly in layers, need I do anything to them before posting? Are layers CSS (I show my ignorance here)? I've tried to do a little reading on CSS and how it fits into DW but just don't get it.

domedia
04-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Are layers CSS (I show my ignorance here)? I've tried to do a little reading on CSS and how it fits into DW but just don't get it. Yes, they are. Not too happy about DW wanting to have a separate name for containers (DIV's) styled with CSS.

There's a few things you should know about before attempting a layout done with CSS. Specifically positioning (absolute and relative) and floats. Either find some tutorials on this subjects or maybe even download some of the templates we have from the main navigation on top of this page, and see how they are done.