PDA

View Full Version : php v. SSI

bigcaat
04-15-2007, 01:39 AM
Hi.

I'm new here. I am developing a website that I would like to be able to make changes globally without having to change and upload every page with each change. Things like the look of the page: the menu, the footer, the background image, etc.

I am on Macintosh using Dreamweaver 8. I don't want to use templates because I went through such hell, after I upgraded to 8, with the templates screwing up my links because of the changes they made to the new version. It was a nightmare.

So, I have come to the harsh and depressing realization that to do this, I need to learn either PHP or SSI, both of which, I fear, are way over my head. But I'm going to give it a shot.

This, I'm sure, will be the first of many posts requesting help. Here's where I'd like to start. Can someone tell me the difference between php and ssi and why, for my purposes, I would choose one over the other? I know my host supports both.

Any simple explanation would be greatly appreciated. (Talk to me like I'm a 5 year old.) ;-)

Thanks much,
Caat

davidj
04-15-2007, 09:51 AM
they are both different things.

SSI is just simply a server side include. This allows you to add the contents of one document into another
example...

<!--#include virtual="stuff.html"-->

PHP on the other hand is a server side programming language. You build dynamic sites and solutions with it like ecommerce applications. It adds interactivity.

you have to be interested in the technology and should have a good understanding of HTML before you jump in