PDA

View Full Version : where am I going wrong (ebay html question)

becky gelke
04-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Hi guys, Happy Easter to you all.

My client wants to sell on eBay as well as through their store, fair enough, so I created a site (well adapted a DW template anyway) and then created one new html page for their eBay add, making sure I had changed every tag to be server specific.

This is how the page looks on its own server, with all the tags being as they need to be on eBay. http://www.toothbrushheads.com.au/ebaypage.html

Yet when I put this up on eBay with the exact same html, for them, it didnt show up properly, all the jpgs and gifs were correct, but the blue background didnt show, and the stylesheet didnt work for some reason, as you can see from the html of this page, all the tags are correct, I am dumbfounded as to where I have gone wrong. Does eBay not work off css, or have I got something slightly wrong??? If anyone can point me in the right direction you will make my Easter.

domedia
04-06-2007, 05:00 PM
I don't know how ebay works, but as with other websites that let's user upload html, they might disable CSS. think about it, you could potentially change the whole look of the ebay pages through CSS.

becky gelke
04-07-2007, 12:44 AM
I don't know how ebay works, but as with other websites that let's user upload html, they might disable CSS. think about it, you could potentially change the whole look of the ebay pages through CSS.

Thanks for the reply, eBay does allow css which is what is so frustrating about it, why is it recognising all the images, and not the css script!!!!!!!! Thought about it last night in bed, got up full of new ideas............and none of them have worked.......I could cry :(

domedia
04-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Regualr images are not CSS. If you don't see any of the CSS styling it's most likely because they don't allow it. Makes sense to me :)

Beautiful page by the way, outstanding.

becky gelke
04-09-2007, 09:19 AM
Regualr images are not CSS. If you don't see any of the CSS styling it's most likely because they don't allow it. Makes sense to me :)

Beautiful page by the way, outstanding.

Thank you for the compliment. I have recently discovered that additional tags need to be added for the css to be read correctly. Should have it finished tomorrow. There are hundreds of listings on there that all mention a css in their code, so I guess it must work.

domedia
04-09-2007, 12:56 PM
I have recently discovered that additional tags need to be added for the css to be read correctly. Please share 8)

becky gelke
04-10-2007, 01:46 AM
Please share 8)

OK, here it is. Nothing in the body tag can be changed as eBay already defines this before it gets to your code.

Consequently this line will not work: <body background="http://www.toothbrushheads.com.au/images/bg.gif"> which it doesnt.

You need to enclose the whole layout in a '<div>' tag and then assign the background to the div instead of the body. Hope that makes sense. I am in the process of doing this at the moment. will post the code when I am done.

becky gelke
04-14-2007, 10:06 AM

You are in fact correct eBay dont allow external CSS. After a week of fannying about I now know that for definite. Page nealy finished now, I will post the code when finished.

domedia
04-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Looking forward to seeing the finished product bec!