PDA

View Full Version : Creating a website for all screen resolutions...

JohnnyFever
04-06-2007, 06:20 AM
Hi all,

I saw a post here I think about creating a website for all screen resolutions but can't seem to find it again. Anyone know of a good tutorial on how to create a website for all screen resolutions? I'm working on a fun website for me and my mom and when I came to my parents house and looked at the site on their computer instead of mine and wow it looked horrible :confused:. Things were all out of alignment and so on. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks
John

gmcrone
04-06-2007, 09:16 AM
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/css-center-content.php

Mike...

domedia
04-06-2007, 01:54 PM
2 ways you can do this:

1. Design for 'lowest common denominator' (well not really) and make sure the website is viewable in 800x600, which means setting the width of your website to no more than 760px.

2. Create a fluid layout, which means the width in your website should be set with percentages or em's.

JohnnyFever
04-06-2007, 03:48 PM
2 ways you can do this:

1. Design for 'lowest common denominator' (well not really) and make sure the website is viewable in 800x600, which means setting the width of your website to no more than 760px.

2. Create a fluid layout, which means the width in your website should be set with percentages or em's.

So does that mean when I create a background for the site in Photoshop I make it 760 wide? Then I can use a table to layout the content, navigation, and photo's as needed? Is this right?

domedia
04-06-2007, 06:04 PM
So does that mean when I create a background for the site in Photoshop I make it 760 wide? Then I can use a table to layout the content, navigation, and photo's as needed? Is this right?
Everyone has their own approach. Background images will repeat by default and will not create scrollbars, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

If you you use tables for design, you would set the width to it either absolutely or relatively, depending on which of the two approaches I mentioned you choose.

<table width="100%">
<table width="760">