PDA

View Full Version : I'm back

gmcrone
04-05-2007, 04:54 AM
Sorry to have been away and not participating as much as I used to.

But I have just done a total reconfiguration of my network.
Now running on Ubuntu Linux. Much much faster and more secure than windows.

I am only running Windows as a virtual machine inside Linux. Working out fine except for Flash Pro crashing windows for some reason. Dreamweaver, Fireworks 8 and CS3, Photoshop, etc, all working just fine in the VM.

See ya around..

Mike...

edbr
04-05-2007, 05:04 AM
so you are the one to ask about linux?
I have been trying debian but am not sure about it. in oplain speak what are the benefits? and why ubuntu

gmcrone
04-05-2007, 09:30 AM
so you are the one to ask about linux?
I have been trying debian but am not sure about it. in oplain speak what are the benefits? and why ubuntu

Don't know if I'm the one to ask ?? But....
Ubuntu is a debian derivative. Probably the most popular distro around for ease of use and keeping updated.
Ubuntu = gnome desktop
Kubuntu = KDE desktop
You first install one or the other then you can add the other desktop also and choose which one you want to use at boot time. (I prefer gnome, KDE is more graphical)
Can be installed as a dual boot system meaning you can have windows and linux both on same drive if windows is installed first.
My setup is a little different. My entire hard drive is Linux with MS Win installed as a virtual machine inside Linux.
You need a newer computer to run this way.
I am using, as my main machine, a Intel dual-core 2.8 ghz machine with a 250 g hard drive and 4 gigs of memory.
It takes a little getting used to.

Why the switch.....Mainly security and stability.
Most software is free (yes, there are commercial apps for Linux, such as Nero)
and installation is as easy as picking from a list and click on install.
There is software available that will replace just about anything you can run under MS Win. Just wish Dreamweaver was available under Linux tho.

Mike....

edbr
04-05-2007, 10:58 AM
have you looked at crossover office ( i think that is the right name) it claims to run dw8 on linux. having said that i had problems although it did install.
I have linux on a seperate hard drive while I try it out my main prob is that I use filemaker as the central database on my network and cant get that to work

gmcrone
04-05-2007, 08:56 PM
have you looked at crossover office ( i think that is the right name) it claims to run dw8 on linux. having said that i had problems although it did install.
I have linux on a seperate hard drive while I try it out my main prob is that I use filemaker as the central database on my network and cant get that to work

Name changed to Crossover Linux/Mac/windows as they have now 3 seperate applications.

I didn't choose crossover because it is an emulator based on wine.
According to their web pages Dreamweaver MX works but nothing later. Same as Photoshop, ver 7 works but nothing later.

An emulator is actually software that tries to mimic another system.
A VM (virtual machine) actually installs the entire operating system and runs inside a protected space from an image file. A VM will be faster as it is using the actual OS while an emulator has to translate all OS calls.

Anyway, you may want to check out QEMU, faster and more stable than Wine.

BTW, a VM will run filemaker. Check out VMWare for their VM. They do have some free ones.

Mike...

domedia
04-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Nice to see you back again Mike!
All the geeks at my office are running Ubuntu as well.

gmcrone
04-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Ubuntu, or their parent company Canonical, just signed an agreement with Linspire.
As of the the next release of Linspire their are changing their kernel to Ubuntu instead of Debian. That is a major change.

And as of the next release of Ubuntu 7.04 (April 19) the entire Linspire software repository will be available to Ubuntu users (free, non-commercial, and commercial software)

Right now it looks like Mandriva (based on Red Hat) and Ubuntu are the 2 top distros.

All the best geeks are using Ubuntu :grin:

Mike...