PDA

View Full Version : What Does This Mean?

qazwsxedc
04-01-2007, 03:03 PM
in my localhost view, the following text comes up when i click the php document whcih echos results:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '[' in F:\Documents and Settings\Bob\My Documents\Bob\php\wamp\www\webroot\test\images\dj. php on line 2

what does it mean?

davidj
04-01-2007, 05:43 PM
read the error and evaluate it

what does it say

davidj
04-01-2007, 05:45 PM
also you are saving your files to the images directory

why are you doing that?

honestly, you are not advanced enough to do this level of computing

davidj
04-01-2007, 05:47 PM
I can tell you that i have done java and C++ already to a good standard

are you sure about this statement

stoneygossard
04-01-2007, 07:11 PM
You appear to have installed "WAMP" into your "My Documents" Folder. Packages such as this are usually installed to the root of your hard drive e.g. c:/wamp/....Does this make sense?

As a programmer also, you should find the error is pretty self explanitory - you clearly have an extra opening square bracket "[" in your code. And your error is in the "images" directory- Why would you be running php scripts in that directory? And I dare say there's a good chance the error is in your dj.php file and possibly it's on line 2!

I think Davidj has a point in what he's saying.

Stoney

davidj
04-01-2007, 07:14 PM
I think Davidj has a point in what he's saying.

not so much as a point.. more like a big fkin DOT!

qazwsxedc
04-02-2007, 06:49 PM
PHP is bloody new to me so don't test my intelligence! If it was Java i would of done this ages ago, but its not. So i would appreciate it if you would help me rather than judge me.

I can see the problem now, extra brace or its unmatched.

davidj
04-02-2007, 07:09 PM
when you asked what a syntax error ment then i started thinking that a C++ / Java programmer would have interpreted that instantly.

i was obviously wrong and i appologise

i just assumed this stuff would be second nature to a developer of that level

keep plugging away and i will try to have more patients

stoneygossard
04-09-2007, 09:12 AM
My Apologies also,

But I studied Java and those types of errors are similar and show up as similar when the file doesn't compile correctly.

Anyway, welcome to the world of server side scripting and hope I can also help in the future.

Stoney