PDA

View Full Version : Form output

Challenge
03-27-2007, 07:42 PM
hey everyone, I'm new to all this so bear with me for the time being.

I have a very simple question for ya'll, and the only reason I ask is becaues the machine I use for programing died on me last night, so I cant readily go into dreamweaver and check on this.

Is it possible to output a simple text or comma delimited file, containing the fields and info located in a form?

I've seen faq and tutorials everywhere about outputting to an email, but all i need is a simple database load file. I appreciate any help you can provide guys, thanks.

davidj
03-29-2007, 09:29 PM
you can do this in any scripting language

Challenge
04-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks david, I dont want to mooch, but if you could point me in the direction of an example I would appreciate it. I'm not very familiar with web scripts. be it php, or others.

davidj
04-02-2007, 03:53 PM
it would be advisable for you to get a basic understanding of php

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/vtm

spend some time getting to grips with this stuff and we will work together sorting out a solution for you

Challenge
04-03-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks david, I got through the first few vids, but the rest say host not found. I will try back when I have a little more free time today. Thanks

Challenge
04-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Bump this ...

I have spent the last few weeks going through tutorials, and reading through code an such. I have a pretty good understanding of javascript now, and I'm moving on to php. I'm picking up PHP and MySQL web Development by Luke Welling, Laura Thomson today.

I still have the same question as before though David, how do I go about outputing a text document (say with comma seperated values) from a multipage dynamic form? Is there a command in javascript that will write to a file? I only ask because I havent come across one yet. Or would I be better off waiting till i'm more versed with php?

davidj
04-18-2007, 09:04 PM
PHP has functions built for this task however you need to understand what your doing and what it does and how it does it

i can write you a script (in a couple of days) which will help but you have to promise to view the video tutorials

have you covered the php vids

Challenge
04-18-2007, 09:17 PM
David, I have to be honest with you, I didnt start posting here to get people to do my work for me. You are very kind to offer, and I could really use the help, but I feel kinda wierd about it.

As I said before I went through the first 3 vids, and the others wouldnt connect, i will try them again tomorrow since i'm busy for the rest of today.

I'll tell you what, I'll see if i can put together a script for this myself, and i'll post it up in a few days ... then maybe you can help me trouble shoot from there.

Thanks a lot David