View Full Version : How to Make your website compatible with All Browsers

Amerio
03-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Hey Guys
I have a Question
How Can I Make my website compatible with All Browsers
All IE Versions , Opera, Safari , Firefox And Netscape
Actually Im working on a website Its working fine On IE 7 & IE 6
I already made check target browsers on dreamweaver and found errors in other browsers which cant support some codes , style sheets and other things
But i can still see some errors on firefox , Opera and netscape
Is there anyway to make a website compatible with all browsers?
Also i dont want to remove some codes just to make it work on other browsers
Any help will be appreciated

chriskq
03-27-2007, 11:34 PM
For starters you should code so that your website looks perfect in FireFox not IE. Why? because FF browser engine adheres to the w3c web (xhtml and css) standards. IE does not.

so i develop always testing in FireFox, then i tweak the parts that need it for IE.
If your a getting good at developing - the rest of the standard browsers these days won't have any problems. Safari might be picky about clearing floating elements and some margins, but generally easy to fix. Althou the older IE 5 and IE 5.5 might give weird results, and u can be positive that Mac IE 5.2 will give you greive -- but thats ok as microsoft has said ther not going to support IE on the mac anymore.

The question u asked is probly considered the age-old question for web-developing.

In time you will be able to realise what will work in what browser and what wont

Amerio
03-28-2007, 03:00 PM
well yeah .. you're right
I downloaded firefox , netscape and Multiple IE's software to have multi versions of IE from version 3.0 to 7.0
Im testing it on all of them
At least im trying 2 make it Standard for Firefox , IE 7 and IE 6
Im Preparing an Article going 2 post it soon about the same Subject we're talking about now!

chriskq
03-28-2007, 11:47 PM
cool. Let us kno about it when ur done.
goodluck

gunner1234
07-05-2012, 11:52 PM
i have the same problem with google chrome mac, but not on google chrome pc. is there any way of sort it out?

domedia
07-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Do you have access to your server logs?

You can probably ditch support for IE6. Maybe IE7 even.

Corrosive
07-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Do you have access to your server logs?

You can probably ditch support for IE6. Maybe IE7 even.

Not sure dropping support for Chrome is a good idea mind you ;)

OP: Can you elaborate on what differences you are seeing please?

gunner1234
07-07-2012, 12:09 AM
what are the server logs and the problem is in google chrome the old version

domedia
07-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Servers keep a record of all http traffic in server logs.

gunner1234
07-08-2012, 10:20 PM
i could find it, but i will keep trying. what do i do when i find that mate.

domedia
07-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Contact you host about your web site stats. They should have something with a nice interface for you. The web stats will tell you about your target audience and what browsers they are using.

nitesh0485
08-01-2012, 10:43 AM
[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Users typically view your website using a browser. Each browser interprets your website code in a slightly different manner, which means that it may appear differently to visitors using different browsers. In general, you should avoid relying on browser specific behavior, such as relying on a browser to correctly detect a content-type or encoding when you did not specify one. In addition, there are some steps you can take to make sure your site doesn't behave in unexpected ways.

Rajendra
08-04-2012, 09:32 AM
If you want to make your website cross browser compatible then use Fluid Grid feature in Dreamweaver CS6 . which will help you to make your website compatible with all browsers.

jmichae3
09-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Hey Guys
I have a Question
How Can I Make my website compatible with All Browsers
All IE Versions , Opera, Safari , Firefox And Netscape
Actually Im working on a website Its working fine On IE 7 & IE 6
I already made check target browsers on dreamweaver and found errors in other browsers which cant support some codes , style sheets and other things
But i can still see some errors on firefox , Opera and netscape
Is there anyway to make a website compatible with all browsers?
Also i dont want to remove some codes just to make it work on other browsers
Any help will be appreciated

the answer to this question is why we have web designers....
it's an art and a science. browsers are finicky, changing things and have lots of quirks to work around. finding out what those quirks are (such as IE conditional comments and VML) and working around them or with them is part of a web designer's tasks.

what worked in one version of a browser may not work in another version of a browser, and what works with one vendor's browser doesn't work in another vendor's browser, ad nauseum.
no web standards really, only recommendations.

henryhayes
09-04-2012, 06:48 PM
You probably know about CSS3-effects but if not:
If youre using CCS3 (rounded corners, box-shadow etc) in your layout, older browsers (fx IE8 and down) dont support CSS3.

For support of older browserversions insert conditional comments which leads to a different stylesheet

jmichae3
09-05-2012, 07:20 AM
http://reference.sitepoint.com/css/vendorspecific

list of vendor-specific prefixes to css properties (such as border-radius)

domedia
09-05-2012, 01:04 PM
You should be pretty much covered by using the regular 'border-radius'.

There should be no need for browser specific prefixes, not for the normal CSS3 properties anyways.

jmichae3
09-06-2012, 06:05 AM
didn't work without them on my side on ff, so I put them in and leave them in. I will have to see if it' the same with calc(). the css pocket guide shows calc() as requiring these. don't know how old info is. will re-test with ff and get back to you on border-radius on ff, chrome, opera.

jmichae3
09-06-2012, 06:20 AM
you are right. things have changed. cool! how many other properties have changed, or have NOT been changed? I know ff is still working on calc() and attr() has not been implemented.

jmichae3
09-06-2012, 06:32 AM
calc() is not done yet.

jmichae3
09-06-2012, 08:39 AM
looks pretty good actually for a quick-shot test. http://jesusnjim.com/common/test-css3-border-radius-property.html

thank you for updating me. I had not realized things had changed. I am also relieved. my css has code bloat because of all that vendor-specific prefix junk they do when starting out.
this will make my pages faster!