PDA

View Full Version : Inserting layer - positioning??

Mik
03-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Gday all,

Just one query; When I insert a layer, as in Insert>Layout Objects>Layer and position the layer with, in this case, an email link in it in the position I want, then when I preview in a browser (Explorer) the layer is shifted a good 30-40mm usually to the right?? So query is whats causing this? Also, is there a better tool for 'plonking' stuff straight onto a page?

cheers,
Mik.

edbr
03-26-2007, 09:59 AM
is the layer absolute or relative. DW usually selects absolute by default that might be the problem

Mik
03-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Where would I find this out?

domedia
03-26-2007, 02:20 PM
If your code says 'position: absolute', it uses absolute positioning.

JohnnyFever
03-26-2007, 11:13 PM
is the layer absolute or relative. DW usually selects absolute by default that might be the problem

I'm curious about this as well. Should he change it to relative?

Thanks
John

Mik
03-27-2007, 12:26 AM
Yeah - what John said ??

cheers :-D

domedia
03-27-2007, 02:11 PM
You should use either where appropriate, none are more 'correct' than the other.

It depends on the situation. If you want something to stay in an absolute pixel position from top left corner , you use absolute positioning. If you want an absolutely positioned element to be relative to it's parent element instead of the top left corner of the viewport, the parent element needs to have 'position: relative;' set. Does that make more sense?

Mik
03-28-2007, 03:21 AM
It does indeed, thanx heaps for that. It'll probably be a while till I properly understand the 'relative' positioning system, but I'll check out that absolute option for sure.

Just one other thing: is that inserting layer thing the best for placing elements at random onto a page? Or is there a better way?