PDA

View Full Version : change color of invisible links

musicfreak
03-24-2007, 08:21 PM
Hello,
I'm a newbie and would appreciate some help. I'm just learning HTML. I'm helping a friend with her website. She has a website where the files were designed for her and then we just uploaded them to her website and she can do what she wants with them. On her home page I wanted to add a news feed. When I added the newsfeed the links were blue and I want them to be green like the rest of her site. How do I change the color of these links. The link its self is not in the HTML.
This is the code:

<font color="#009933" size="5">Current Gardening News</font>
<!-- Fresh Content.net newsfeed coding begins -->
<script type="text/javascript"
src="<A href="http://www.freshcontent.net/gardening_news_feed.php"></script">http://www.freshcontent.net/gardening_news_feed.php"></script>
<br>
Headlines by <a
href=http://www.freshcontent.net/directory/home/gardening_news.html><font color="#009933">Fresh
Content.net</font></a>
<!-- Fresh Content.net newsfeed coding ends -->
After adding the code, I went in and put the title 'Current Gardening News' and it automatically made it green. But the links to the newsfeed don't show here so I don't know how to alter them from blue to green. I was able to change Freshcontent.net to green as it gave me that link in my HTML.

Someone from the news site said I have to do this:

You can't change the destination URL in anyway. But you can certainly change the color of the link. But doing so can be tricky when the color of the links of your page are dictated by your page's css coding. In other words, there is probably coding either in your heading (between the <head> and </head> tags) or in a separate css file that is telling your page that it MUST use the color blue for all the pages links. So you need to find where that coding is and edit it.

I don't know anything about CSS. When I open up my index file for this page on the right side of DW where it says Design and then it says CSS Styles, below it it says No CSS styles if that means anything. If I have to do something somewhere else in the code other than what I've shown you here could you please explain? I've looked between the two head tags and there are other colors but I can't see any that are blue and I don't know anything about a separate css file.

I'd appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks,

Cheryl

musicfreak
03-24-2007, 08:31 PM
All my links on my page are green and all text is black, so I don't think I have anything programed as blue. So I guess it's the color the newsfeed was set up with from the website I got it from.

domedia
03-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Hhi musicfrek, this is a feed, meaning the HTML is generated by another server. If the feed provider does not give you the option, you cannot change the feed or the color of it.

musicfreak
03-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Hi Domedia,
Thanks for replying. The guy who runs the site that I got the feed from told me the color of the link can be changed. I just can't change where it links to which I don't want to do anyway, I just want to change the color of it.

He said this:

"You can't change the destination URL in anyway. But you can certainly change the color of the link. But doing so can be tricky when the color of the links of your page are dictated by your page's css coding. In other words, there is probably coding either in your heading (between the <head> and </head> tags) or in a separate css file that is telling your page that it MUST use the color blue for all the pages links. So you need to find where that coding is and edit it."

Am I misunderstanding something?:confused:

Thanks,

Cheryl

domedia
03-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Do you have a any CSS for changing you link colors?

musicfreak
03-25-2007, 06:49 PM
Hi,
I'm not sure what you mean? Sorry I'm a newbie. I'm using Dreamweaver which has the option of using CSS if that's what you mean. I don't know anything about CSS but I guess I could learn.

As I said before the files for my friend's site were designed by someone else. We have been uploading them to her site and editing them how we like. So someone has has done the HTML etc.

But it looks like someone put in this line between the 2 Head tags so maybe this is CSS or is it HTML?:

<link href="../adsense%20page%20css.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

Anyways, I got a code from someone that made my links green. He said it would work if I wanted all my links green. If I only wanted the news header green and the other links something else then it would be more difficult. But the code he gave was fine as I wanted all links green.

He gave me this:

</style>
<style type="text/css">
/*<![CDATA[*/
a {color: green;} (or whatever color you need)
/*]]>*/
</style>
</head>

Thanks,

Cheryl

domedia
03-25-2007, 08:54 PM
But it looks like someone put in this line between the 2 Head tags so maybe this is CSS or is it HTML?:

Thats is HTML code for linking to your stylesheet.

Here's some lines of CSS you can paste into that file to make all links green:
a:link {color: green}
a:visited {color: green}
a:hover {color: black}
a:active {color: green}

musicfreak
03-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Thank you so much for all your help!

Cheryl