PDA

View Full Version : How does dhtml differ from html?

Andromeda
03-23-2007, 09:38 AM
What is dhtml?

The reason I ask is that I was thinking about giving ranjan's drop down menu tutorial a go but it refers to "dhtml". If I'm creating html files can I do the tutorial? I don't want to start if I'm not going to be able to finish it.

davidj
03-23-2007, 10:00 AM
dhtml (d = dynamic) is a method of using Javascript to interact with html elements dynamicaly. This may mean using DIVs (Layers) and make them move when a button is clicked or adding form fields when clicking a Add Form Field button to a form that might have a variable field requirement.

Javascript gives you a dynamic layer to your normaly static HTML which is where it becomes DHTML.

anyone can follow a tutorial. Its the learning bit that is the difficult bit.

here comes the analogy...
It like taking a non english speaking person. I could phonetically teach him to order a meal in a restaurant and he would get what i taught him to say but he wouldnt understand what he asked for. Did that make sense?

domedia
03-23-2007, 02:52 PM
HTML is an official protocol, while DHTML is simply a generic term for a mix of HTML/CSS/JS.

Andromeda
03-23-2007, 06:47 PM
here comes the analogy...
It like taking a non english speaking person. I could phonetically teach him to order a meal in a restaurant and he would get what i taught him to say but he wouldnt understand what he asked for. Did that make sense?

LOL! Yes! Perfectly thank you.

HTML is an official protocol, while DHTML is simply a generic term for a mix of HTML/CSS/JS.
Thanks for that. I'll p[lunge into that tutorial then!