PDA

View Full Version : Auto resizing

Rich_A06
03-19-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before. I've used the search feature but didn't find anything.

My site is www.eoaa.org, it's made using dreamweaver. The problem is when I try different resolutions, the main frame content needs to resize automatically. It seems like quite a difficult task and so that's why I'm asking for help here. The main frame is made up of a two layers and tables.

Andromeda
03-19-2007, 08:44 PM
If you don't give the main frame a fixed width but rather a percentage or no width at all then it should resize automatically.

Within the main frame - the same goes with the tables - don't give them a fixed width. Not sure about the layers though. I think these stay at a fixed size whatever the resolution???

Rich_A06
03-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Yes percentages work perfectly for layers. For tables it doesn't seem to work. Thanks though as I'm able to use percentages now for some things which is great. I've made a note saying this site is best viewed at 1280x1024, how anyone can use 1024x768 these days I don't know. Can't do much more than that.

d a v e
03-20-2007, 09:20 PM
"how anyone can use 1024x768 these days I don't know. "

many people don't have a monitor/graphics card capable of more than 1024, or know how to change it, or want to change. AND many people even with huge monitors at high res don't necessarily use all of that available space just for their browser: maybe they have their browser at say 1000 x 500, and then winamp open and or dreamweaver/notepad/whatever next to their browser window.
i don't know how anyone can use frames these days though ;) :)

Rich_A06
03-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Yes I'm going to try and make it look better for those that use 1024x768.

I've had no problems with using frames and think it looks OK. The only problem is submitting to search engines and the fact that the main address never changes. It's not important for my site and I can find ways around it. My site is more of a word of mouth type site rather than a business. If I was running a business there's no way I'd use frames because they can be confusing to visitors.

The only way to make a fixed toolbar I know of is by adding a hovering toolbar. I could do that but then how would I replicate the links frame on the right hand side. I really want that frame not to scroll and simply stay there all the time - how would I do that without using a frame?

Rich_A06
03-29-2007, 04:28 PM
OK I'd really like to know how to address this issue.

If you go here http://www.eoaa.org/Main/GTR2/regulations.htm. I used auto for width and height. For padding I use 26px for left and right. The text and content fits nicely but I can't seem to control the white page.

There a settings for left L and top T but what I need is a right R and a bottom B. I tried looking into the page property margins but they just seem to shrink the entire page.

Rich_A06
03-30-2007, 02:31 AM
Bumperty bump ..

Does the option I need not exist, do I have to use a percentage width.. why isn't there a B and a R?

domedia
03-30-2007, 01:38 PM
No such thing as a B and R.

Are you trying to control the margin outside the white area on all 4 sides?

Rich_A06
03-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Yes, exactly that.

A fixed margin between the edge of the page and the white layer all the way round and then I guess set the white layer's width to 100% so it resizes.

domedia
03-30-2007, 02:10 PM
You can set a margin on the white area then, set margin: 10px and adjust from there.

Rich_A06
03-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Yep that did it, thanks. Sometimes it's not so obvious where things are huh, there's a lot of parameters hidden away in that little Relevant CSS box.

Rich_A06
03-30-2007, 04:24 PM
Actually the bottom margin isn't working. Look here http://www.eoaa.org/Main/GTR2/regulations.htm
It now works great for top, left and right but it still doesn't show any bottom margin. The bottom margin is 21px.

davidj
03-30-2007, 04:27 PM
how can we look on your machine

file:///C:/Web%20design/EOAA/Main/GTR2/regulations.htm

Rich_A06
03-30-2007, 04:40 PM
Lol, VNC?

Nah, well it shows some grey background at the bottom by setting Position to relative but then it's messed up. Position is absolute ATM ..

Rich_A06
03-30-2007, 08:21 PM
It's funny but in Opera there is a little margin at the bottom, but in IE and FF there's none at all.

Rich_A06
04-02-2007, 02:02 AM
Height is set to auto, width is auto, margin of 21px all round for the white layer. It works for top, left and right but not bottom.

This is the CSS for body ..

<style type="text/css">
<!--
.style8 {font-size: 16px}
body {
background-color: #EFEFEF;
clear: left;
margin-bottom: 56px;
padding-bottom: 56px;
}

And there is also margin settings set for the layer ..

<div id="Layer1" style="position:absolute; width:auto; height:auto; z-index:1; background-color: #FFFFFF; layer-background-color: #FFFFFF; border: 2px solid #848484; left: 0; top: 0; padding-right: 26px; padding-left: 26px; margin-right: 26px; margin-left: 26px; margin-top: 21px; padding-bottom: 52px; margin-bottom: 56px;">
<blockquote>

But still the page insists on going right down to the scrollbar. 56px is way bigger than the scrollbar.

http://www.eoaa.org/Main/GTR2/regulations.htm

domedia
04-02-2007, 02:23 PM
The content has to go somewhere. When the screen is filled up, the rest of the content will be further down the page, in an area you cannot see yet, thus the scrollbar.

Rich_A06
04-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Yes I know that but all I want is to add a margin to the bottom of the white layer so that when I scroll down to the very bottom, there's about 56px of the grey background. ATM the white layer is going to the very bottom of the grey background even though I've set bottom margins for both the layer and in CSS.

domedia
04-02-2007, 07:23 PM
ok, what about setting a bottom-border on your main div? gray color etc.
Do you know how to do that from your CSS Panel?

Rich_A06
04-03-2007, 02:43 AM
What do you mean by main div? Tried setting the CSS body border settings to 26px but it did nothing. The white layer was made to fit the entire page, then as you suggest a border was added 26px solid #000000. But it did nothing, the white layer filled the whole page.

It's like the white layer is taking priority. I don't know, something so simple surely can't be this difficult? I think another way must be found to do this ..

Rich_A06
04-04-2007, 02:25 AM
Hmm discovered container tags. Not sure what the hell they do ..

Got one guy helping me, here http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=536865

You might want to edit the title of this topic to 'Auto resizing and bottom border'.