PDA

View Full Version : MySQL, Apache, PHP... WHAT?! Please help

SaintMic
03-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Hi there.

My wife and I are attempting to set up a new internet company, dealing with tourist photos. Every day well be taking loads of pictures of people and then putting them online so they can get them for free. Im trying to design a website which can support this and, although I know nothing about them, have been told that maybe a database might be the best system.

Basically, we want to have all the pictures of any certain day on a different page - eg all of Monday on one page, Tuesday on another (in a while we plan to take it further and split it to different areas on monday, then tuesday etc, but for now simplicity is the word). As it stands, I would have to physically create and upload the new pages every day - write the code and put all the links in "by hand" (from hence forth referred to as "Dreamweaver"), as well as being out all day and taking all the pictures. Am I right in thinking that if i could somehow use a database, the computer could, in principle, make the pages for me every day and ill id have to do would be put the images onto the database and save it?

My next question is this, and its quite a simple one - WHAT THE HELL IS A DATABASE AND HOW DOES ONE GO ABOUT MAKING ONE? Ive tried all manor of different websites and such stuff but they always assume a certain level of knowledge which i just dont have. I have a webspace which claims to support 20 MySQL databases (on the control panel it allows me to configure them, but i really dont understand what its asking of me). Ive followed tutorials and downloaded things called WAMP, MySQL programs, Apache stuff and myphpserver or something like that, but I cant make head nor tail of any of it.

I have a basic assumption that the actual database is stored and opperated on my computer (rather than online), meaning the world and his dog will have 24/7 access to My Documents or where ever its stored - is this correct, or can it be saved online and then just uploaded?

I am clueless on this, if you fancy a challenge and would like to walk someone through setting it all up or just answering questions then please contact me - Im running out of ideas on how to stall the opening of our business!

Many thanks for your time,
Mic

lux
03-17-2007, 08:16 PM
welcome to the forum

unless you want to invest a hell of a lot of time in learning all about dynamic web design, database design, taking payments online etc look at this site:

http://gallery.menalto.com/

your gallery system will be up and running in a couple of hours, you'll be able to sell the photos and create galleries etc.

please read the document ion though, i promise you it will help

or you could pay some one to develop a site for you, your choice really

kind regards

SaintMic
03-17-2007, 08:21 PM
NOTE: THE FOLLOWING IS MEANT IN A 100% PLATONIC AND THANKFUL SENSE.
Lux8Uk - I could kiss you.

I had a quick look and that looks pretty much 100% what Im after.. only without all the hassle of actually making what Im after. Genius!

Thanks so much, youre a legend in my book.

...still, if you fancy having a go at making one for me, feel free;-)

lux
03-17-2007, 08:28 PM
not for free, but............haha na that site should offer everything you need,

i would recommend you go through the docs, download the files and mess around with it, break it, ruin it etc, that way you can get a feel for it, then delete all files and start a new.

also check out the forums, im sure you'll find some useful info there

if you do want to learn to create your own dynamic site though check out the video tutorials on this site. there are really good starting point for beginners

SaintMic
03-17-2007, 10:14 PM
thanks for the tips - i do have a habit of uncoding things, so i think a quick go would be a good idea. In the long run I want my own stuff, but we need a quick fix right now, plus given my total lack of idea about it, maybe it would be good to learn by undoing, as it were.