PDA

View Full Version : How to Link Pages together?

daviddooley
03-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Hello, I'm trying to learn something new. I've always just designed the page in Photoshop, sliced the design up in Fireworks and then make it work in Dreamweaver. I always have a main text page, the only part that changes through the site. Nothing else, all images and nav bar stay the same. If you look at the linked image, this is a site I'm in the process of designing.

Is there a way to create just a text file for the text area in white for each page without having the entire page load every time? THe text are at the moment is in a Div layer inside a table because as you can see, the page does not expand down, you are able to scroll within just that box.

Is this possible what I'm thinking or not? Am I making sense also? ANy help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.d2designs.com/zm.jpg

domedia
03-16-2007, 07:51 PM
Possible but not recommended. It's like using a toaster instead of a hammer to drive in a nail (thank davidj for that comparison). It will do the job, somehow, but the results are not very good.

You won't load pages faster that way because all common graphics etc will be loaded from cache in the client browser anywho, like all regular web pages do. If you add the SEO, and usability problems that arise from using frames, you really opt in for the worst kind of solution.

Here's a better solution, getting the exact same and function you want:
1. Utilize the Dreamweaver Template system. This means that you first create a template (.dwt) file where you specify which area is to change on each page.

2. In order to have all content stay in a specified witdth and height area, use the CSS property OVERFLOW. Our member Ranjan made a tutorial for thisd here:
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/css-scroller.php

This way you achieve one global template file where you can update the look on all your pages instantly, and one page for each piece of content.

daviddooley
03-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Okay, I figured it out. I made a template and linked each page and nav button. But here's a new question. If I need to put a link inside the text area, how do I make the link work. At this moment, you can see the rollover, but nothing happens when you click on it.

domedia
03-16-2007, 11:59 PM
Don't use a textarea, it's a form element, and unless you're creating a form, drop it. Use a div element like in Ranjans example. All you're looking for is the scrollbars and be able to set height and width, right?