PDA

View Full Version : iFrames and Framesets

fwr1000
03-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Can someone give a brief description of the difference between iFrames and Framesets?

From what I've read, iFrames is an HTML tag that puts a small frame on an HTML page and Framesets are the convuleted multiple pages rolled into one that would be used to display individual "pages" on a single master page.

I've read enough about Framesets to know it's old technology and should not be used if one wants good web design but wanted some expert advice on iFrames and their use.

thnx
Fred

domedia
03-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Frames is an old technology of breaking your website into several documents.
It's still in use today, but only for adding external pages into your site. Sometimes you see some websites link to external pages with loading ghe page into a frameset. The disadvantages to frames was discovered years ago and this forum has some info on it.

Iframes let you add an external document anywhere on the page, with a set width and height, in the middle of your page for example.

It's really important to understand that using frames because you think it will add any kind of look/design is a misunderstanding. You can achieve all kinds fo design without using frames. There's no added benefits design wise to use frames, and only negative impact on usability, seo, accessability etc.

If you have a design in mind please post it here, and someone will show yo have to achieve this the right way with the right technology. :)

fwr1000
03-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Nothing particular in mind, just had been seeing the two terms used and wanted to be sure I understood.

Thanks for the explaination.

Fred