PDA

View Full Version : Framesets

markcook
03-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Now then
Im a new user on dreemweaver and i have created my opening page using framesets (a top banner, navigation bar, and main friam), I can create the first page to work fine, but now how should i start to do the second page just so all the info appears in the main frame and keeping the top banner and nav bar in their fixed place?

Everything i try ends up when i click on the link the new page opens with the top anner but no navigation bar!!

Can Anyone help me do this?

domedia
03-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Ditch the frameset :) it shouldn't be used for page design anyways.

Start with making a template and mark which regions in the template you want to be editable on each page. This is an easy way of creating consistent looking webpages that are easy to update.

If you haven't looked into it already, the help files will give you the lowdown on how to work with templates. Once you get the template basics down you can get pretty advanced with it, see this tutorial:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/dw_templates.html

welcome to the forums as well Mark!

If you do continue to use frames for your website (like using a toaster on a nail), you have to choose which frame to target with your link, see attachment:

markcook
03-08-2007, 05:34 PM
Now then, Cheers for the advice,

I have had a go as doing the target frame , however which ever one i choose in the target option just opens the layer in a new window? (www.thirskcricket.co.uk (http://www.thirskcricket.co.uk) then click on club for an example of what i mean). Do you have any idea what is going wrong?

I would prefer to do it in frames, as that will give the image i wish. But at the momwnt this is proving very difficult, so i will probs switch to templates like you suggest.

Thanks Mark

Ricky55
03-10-2007, 04:10 AM
dont have those buttons as flash content mate its pointless, these could just be simple giffs.

if you do want to keep the flash at least embed them properly so you don't need to press then once to activate them.

Ricky55
03-10-2007, 04:12 AM
with regards to the target issue this seems to be a problem with flash buttons created in dreamweaver someone else had the same problem the other day. The easiest way to fix this is to ditch the flash buttons and just use gifs the frame will then load correctly.

domedia
03-11-2007, 05:11 PM
In the dropdown menu for target, you have to choose only the name of the frame you want the new page to load in.I would prefer to do it in frames, as that will give the image i wish. This is just a misunderstanding :) Frames gives you no extra features as far as design goes, and it's only use is to load external content into your website.

markcook
03-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Cheers for the info, the pages are loading in the correct frame now.

Ill have a go at getting the flah buttons load load properly.

As you can probs tell im very new to working with dreamweaver, so all tips are much appriciated.

Ricky55
03-12-2007, 08:42 PM
well i wouldn't use flash for those buttons as theres no point but if you insist on using flash all you need to do to embed them properly is upgrade dreamweaver with the 8.02 patch from adobe. Dreamweaver will then embed your files so that you don't need to click to avtivate content.

You can download the patch here

http://www.adobe.com/support/dreamweaver/downloads_updaters.html#dw8

scroll down the page a little.