PDA

View Full Version : htaccess Binary or ASCII

Dave Taylor
03-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Hi

Just found this site & forum so I hope somebody can help.

My friend has DW MX2004 installed on a PC if the .htpasswd file is edited and uploaded, the .htaccess no longer works.

I have installed DW MX2004 on my PC and uploaded the same file and .htaccess works.

My guess it that its being uploaded using the wrong format on my friends PC but correct on mine.

How does DW know whether to upload it in ASCII or Binary. I know there is a text file that lists all the common extensions and DW uses this to know the format but .htpasswd & .htaccess have no extensions.

Or can their be another reason why it should by ok on mine and not my friends.

Regards, Dave

davidj
03-06-2007, 08:10 AM
look for a file called...

FTPExtensionMap.txt

located in...

C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8\Configuration

change the defaults to suit

Dave Taylor
03-06-2007, 08:15 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply but as I said I know about the FTPExtensionMap.txt file but what do I enter for .htaccess as it has no extension?

Re Dave

davidj
03-06-2007, 08:16 AM
its a text file

davidj
03-06-2007, 08:18 AM
it should be uploaded as ASCII

you might have to chmod the file to 644

Dave Taylor
03-06-2007, 08:21 AM
Hi are you saying I just enter.

HTACCESS ASCII

Did not know if this would work as there is no filename as such?

Re Dave

davidj
03-06-2007, 08:23 AM
just make sure the TEXT is set to ASCII

davidj
03-06-2007, 08:28 AM
also try naming it htaccess.txt then upload it

once on the live machine then rename it to its proper naming convention

.htaccess

WebNerd3.14
08-28-2011, 01:44 AM
it should be uploaded as ASCII

you might have to chmod the file to 644

I too am trying to create a passworded area for a site I am finishing up. I have read that not putting the .htaccess and .htpasswd files as ASCII will result in an error message, which I have indeen gotten! :(

I am using FTP via DreamWeaver, and I have yet to find how to make sure that I am uploading my .ht_____ files as ASCII. Can someone tell me how, please? :confused:

Many thanks and take care!

Jennifer

DWcourse
08-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Could having the wrong Line break type set in the Code Format preference be the cause of the problem?

When you download the file after your friend has edited it, what does it look like?

And, seriously, tell him it's time to upgrade…

davidj
08-30-2011, 01:28 PM
I too am trying to create a passworded area for a site I am finishing up. I have read that not putting the .htaccess and .htpasswd files as ASCII will result in an error message, which I have indeen gotten! :(

I am using FTP via DreamWeaver, and I have yet to find how to make sure that I am uploading my .ht_____ files as ASCII. Can someone tell me how, please? :confused:

Many thanks and take care!

Jennifer

First I would suggest that you don't use Dreamweaver FTP. Try using a dedicated prog like filezilla

Its better when pass wording a directory using basic authentication you telnet / SSH on that box and do it from the command line (If its a Linux box that is)