PDA

View Full Version : cycle images in a thumbnail gallery

inspector lee
03-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Hi, I'm very new to HTML, so please bear with me. I'm currently using a "Thumbnail Gallery" style page for my online portfolio (when the cursor hovers over a thumbnail the image pops up to the left of it) Here's a link: Portfolio (http://www.marshallalmeida.com/Public_html/Pages/Concept_Artn.htm)
What I'm wondering is, would it be possible to cycle through several images, when the cursor hovers over a Thumbnail (instead of just one image for each thumbnail)? I'm thinking of showing several views of a single model in my 3D section

davidj
03-06-2007, 08:12 AM
is that your work ???

chriskq
03-06-2007, 10:36 AM
that stuff is crazy. Nice work if its urs.

seems to be a pretty good way to cycle through images. Takes a bit long to load thou.

Maybe you could a image background centered on the body - or a least a have a background on the div that displays that large version of images

domedia
03-06-2007, 01:57 PM
lee, welcome to the forums!

I'm not actually sure you're going to make it better by doing it that way. Right now, at least the control is on the user. I can view an image for as long as I want to, and it's very intuitive. If you start cycling though the images at a preset speed, the user will lose all control over the experience, and I think it will not be better than what you have now.

Your work is amazing btw. I particularly like the Sci-Fi ones.

inspector lee
03-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Yeah, this is my work, thanks for the kind words. I'm actually pretty happy with how it's working for these 2D images right now, But I also do 3D character design (in Maya) and I thought it might be better (and more intuitive) to be able to cycle through several shots (from different camera angles), when you hover the cursor over a thumbnail of a character design.
From your comments, I'm starting to suspect that it wouldn't be very easy to do in HTML. I know Flash fairly well, so I may have to come up with a solution that uses Flash. I was really trying to keep the load time short, that's why I wanted to see if it could be done with straight HTML.

davidj
03-06-2007, 03:45 PM
But I also do 3D character design (in Maya)

im not worthy, im not worthy!!

i dabbled with Max but the resulting image had too many flaws to be classed as photorealistic.

Imagine when you get this web stuff learned what you could do. That i have to see

inspector lee
03-06-2007, 04:52 PM
The render looks pretty cool from what I could see (I tried to view the larger version, but I kept getting a "you don't have permission" message)

I really dig 3D, it's such an amazing tool. My biggest problem is, I don't know where to spend my time and energy these days (too many choices).

domedia
03-06-2007, 05:28 PM
I see what you mean now, sounds like Flash would be the tool for you as you said.

You have to be logged in order to view attachments. Top right area will let you know if you're logged in or out.

inspector lee
03-06-2007, 06:16 PM
I got some weird glitch with Safari and this Forum. No matter how I tried (or how many times I logged in) it would act as though I wasn't logged in and wouldn't let me view the attachment. I had to use another browser to view it.
davidj: nice rendering. I really like the reflections of the chrome on the wood surface. (nice lighting too)

domedia: yeah, I'm just hoping I can find a Flash solution that's quick to load.
Thanks for the replies guys.

domedia
03-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Darn I thought I fixed the Safari problem 2 days ago.
Does this happen even though you mark the 'Remember me' checkbox in the login box?

inspector lee
03-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Yes, in fact it shows me as logged in before I try to view the attachment, And, when it asks me to log in, I fill in the fields, check "remember me", click "log in" and it takes me right back to the same (Log in) page.

domedia
03-06-2007, 07:54 PM
I did a slight change in how cookies are set, and tested it on Safari 2 OSX10, and it worked for me. If any others can confirm I would be very grateful, there's no reason why this forum shouldn't be useful for our mac folks. In order not to completely take over this thread, PM me if you can help out testing for Safari.

inspector lee
03-06-2007, 08:05 PM
it's still the same here.