PDA

View Full Version : Navigation hidden because of Flash - HELP!

Tanzawa
02-21-2007, 07:18 PM
My CSS navigation becomes hidden on the page when I insert a Flash object (SWF). The navigation script type is JavaScript...

I tried to use some other code on another website but it didn't work... here's the code I tried to insert:

<?php if((strstr($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'], 'Windows')) && (strstr($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'], 'MSIE'))) {
include ('includes/ss_nav.php');
} else {
include ('includes/ss_nav_fixed.php');
} ?>

Can anyone help me with this? I'm totally stuck......

ramandeep
02-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Can you post a link to the page or post a full code as figuring it out from what you have given seems difficult.

Tanzawa
02-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Here's the link: http://citycentrehouston.com/shopping/

If you hover over the CityCentre nav button, the drop down goes behind the SWF file.

Thanks!!!!!

ramandeep
02-21-2007, 09:05 PM
hmm you can try adding this to your flash object.

<PARAM NAME=wmode VALUE=transparent>

And in the <embed> tag:

wmode=transparent

Tanzawa
02-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Shoot -- it didn't work.

We had the same problem on another site, so I've been comparing the code between the two and found (on the working site) an extra line at the end of the AC code 'menu','false','wmode','transparent'. I plugged that into the other site and the navigation worked, but the background on the SWF got knocked out.

What are your thoughts on the code I pasted in my original message?

:confused:

chriskq
02-22-2007, 01:45 AM
well that nav has been pretty poorly coded.
look how long it takes for the hover state to appear when u hover over a element in the nav.

as a fix for ur nav problem.
Try putting a z-index value on ur nav wrapper div in ur css.

eg:
.nav {
z-index: 200;
}

ramandeep
02-22-2007, 07:44 AM
We have fixed this issues in past using wmode or z-index( as chris suggested)

Would like to suggest here that why cant you do it with a simple CSS based menu , it will be faster and more compliant. and you can have almost same outlook.

chriskq
02-22-2007, 09:22 PM
and ram's point is even better than mine.

cssplay.co.uk has some cool examples of drop down menus

Tanzawa
02-22-2007, 09:33 PM
I never did figure out how to put the z-index value in my nav wrapper --- I'm not code savvy at all.

I contacted a friend of mine who knocked out the background in the SWF and added a CSS style with a background color.

It'll do for now!

Thanks so much for all your help - I'm sure I'll be back soon with another question!

michi