PDA

View Full Version : Newbie attempting CMS

Vifferman
02-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Ok, apologies first for any inherent stupidity in this post.
I'm a complete novice to Dreamweaver & web design.
My question:

I have an opportunity to create our works website, but need to know I'll be able to deliver what they need. Although I have no web design experience I'm pretty conversant in Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark etc, so the design aspect is not a problem - it's the HTML side that is.

The requirements are for a CMS of some sort - mosty to alter news pages, substitute images, & update downloadable manuals (mostly PDF files) that will be in the design. They also want some form of email enquiry form that is useable upon receipt in the general office database.

I'm slowly getting my head around web design & all it's complications, but my main question is this:

Can I just go ahead & design the site as I wish & then find a suitable CMS & use that successfully, or does thesite have to be built in a specific way depending on what bits I want content managed? See, told you there'd be some stupidity. :confused:
Assuming I can, is there a recommended CMS I can use, presumably open source? or is Macromedia's Contribute any good? Bearing in mind that the folk using it will need summat no more complex that word - it would have to be an idiot proof CMS as it were that is also pretty secure.
I'm also estimating that I can learn to build a decent site in 3 months - am I completely bonkers ??:mrgreen:

Thanks for advice.

davidj
02-20-2007, 11:01 PM
so the design aspect is not a problem - it's the HTML side that is.

even if you were an expert in html its not html that performs the magic in a CMS. Even if you were an expert programmer you would never reinvent the wheel by coding your own so lets see what we have.

you have 3 months so use them wisely. Check the link out below and try a few demos out. I liked joomla which i played with a while ago.

http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.php

make a decision and stick to it

also look at what literature is out there to support the software. This will give you an idea of how professional and popular the product is.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/026-3781798-4862803?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=joomla

you have 3 month which at your level is not that long so get started and have fun. Im sure you will be fine.

im sure there is a joomla expert on here?

domedia
02-21-2007, 12:51 AM
You can do it in 3 months but it's going to take alot of dedication.

Contribute works flawlessly with DW, it was set up that way, and can be great for other people in your company to update parts of your website.

edbr
02-21-2007, 04:21 AM
as Davidj said, Joomla is a good option, you will get a site up quickly , thee are plenty of free templates available to adapt as you want.

Vifferman
02-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks for those answers.
I've read a bit about Joomla from their site & I think I'm missing a crucial point.
It seems that some folk have made sites with dreamweaver & then switched to using Joomla. So Joomla is a tool for building sites too??
But can I apply Joomla to a site I build with Dreamweaver?
I'm gonna continue reading more until I understand the basics here, as the more I read the more confused I get:confused:
Thanks again for the links

ramandeep
02-21-2007, 09:36 PM
Hi Mate,
Ok as per your question for Dreamweaver and joomla.

you can use dreameaver for developing the frontend/template for joomla.

As you know joomla is a CMS system, it has a frontend which is in the form of template and a backend system from where you control everything. You can use dreamwever to create template for joomla.

So YES it serves your purpose, design your template and then using dreamweaver convert it as joomla front end design(template).

There is an DW extension for making joomla templates. But you need to study the joomla template structure to start.

Study the docs and ask the bits you don't get, we are ready to help.

davidj
02-22-2007, 06:53 AM
i would get joomla working first

set it up so it meets your needs and you have tested it. If you have any time left from the three months the start learning skin development

you dont need dreamweaver to configure joomla.

Vifferman
02-22-2007, 10:09 AM
What a helpfull bunch you are - maybe with your guidance I'll get some decent results. Will keep you posted & no doubt will be asking many more questions.
Cheers