PDA

View Full Version : Does Dreamweaver have a Format Painter?

coyotewrw
02-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Hi all,

I'm migrating from MS Frontpage to Dreamweaver MX. So far so good, but I am missing the MS Office Format Painter, that little paintbrush icon that allws me to copy a set of formats, then "paint" them to other text by clicking/dragging.

Is there a similar tool in dreamweaver? Thanks!

davidj
02-20-2007, 04:42 PM
im guessing that this format painter is basicaly a style copier

what you need to check out is CSS if this is the case

coyotewrw
02-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Nope, it's a tool found in MS Frontpage, MS Word, etc. to quickly apply repetitive font/paragraph formats with the mouse.

If a corresponding tool exists in Dreamweaver, it's most likely used in Design View only.

d a v e
02-20-2007, 06:05 PM
davidj understood what it does ;) but it sucks so DW doesn't use it: it (format painter) uses deprecated font and style tags (tags marked for future removal from the html) and it's a heavy handed way to still make pages. check out css e.g. http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp
using styles in a cascading stylesheet means that you can update them throughout a whole site in one go, and not have to go through every page if you suddenly decide to change say a colour

davidj
02-20-2007, 06:06 PM
ok

this is the same thing

you style a block of text with CSS (follow the CSS tutorials in DW) then on your properties panel there is a class / style selector. Choose an element like a text block and then select a style from the selector

davidj
02-20-2007, 06:08 PM
sorry DAVE

you beat me to the Submit Reply button

coyotewrw
02-20-2007, 06:39 PM
okay, thanks :)