PDA

View Full Version : PHPmyadmin and ESM MySQL Lite

fwr1000
02-18-2007, 11:52 PM
Ready to start on Davidj's beginners PHP tuts and wanted to make sure there is no problem having both PHPmyadmin and ESM Lite installed also. I have installed WAMP5 already so the PHPmyadmin was installed with it but want to use ESM to follow more closely with the tut.

thnx
Fred

davidj
02-19-2007, 12:43 AM
they are both seperate client installs so it dont matter if you have them both on the machine.

when i started this game with mysql i had to use a command line to do my mySQL wizardry then i discovered EMS. I never gave the others (phpadmin) a chance really. You might come back to this thread and tell me im talking shite and that phpadmin is the dogs boll***s.

stick with EMS for the tuts but then find your own path young padawan

fwr1000
02-19-2007, 12:47 AM
Thnx. Doubt if I will question your choice because every tip you've given me has been right on. Learned a lot from you and the others on the Forum.

Fred

davidj
02-19-2007, 01:01 AM
nice one mate

when i started in early 90's i used to chat to a lass who was a developer who showed me the mysteries of HTML and would answer questions like... wot dos <p> do? which i asked allot though ICQ (wonder what happened to her?)

so the best i can offer (12 years on) is the experience i gained and if i help create just one new developer then ive given back what was given to me all those years ago

chriskq
02-19-2007, 10:51 AM
u've been a big help to me too Dj ;)

chriskq
02-19-2007, 10:53 AM
ps what are some good tuts to begin with Dj.
as u kno i got php up n running with wamp5 too the other night. the last year i've only been concentrating on xhtml and css with some javascript and basic php. So getting into the Db stuff will be interesting.

How about making a photogallery that calls pictures from a database. would that be too hard tot start off with ?

davidj
02-19-2007, 10:54 AM
ah the cricket looser

hows the PHP going

davidj
02-19-2007, 10:55 AM
How about making a photogallery that calls pictures from a database. would that be too hard tot start off with ?

is this a request for a tut or are you going to do this

davidj
02-19-2007, 10:57 AM
ps what are some good tuts to begin with Dj.

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/vtm

lux
02-19-2007, 12:23 PM
follow davidj's tuts to learn the basics of php

once you've done this to create a basic photogallery go along the idea of storing all the photos in a folder on your web server and then create a db table that stores the url to the image, name of the image and description of each image.

print them to a page and then build it up from there i guess.

don't think that because you're dealing with images that it should be any harder than returning a row(s) from a db table and displaying data, because really thats all your doing.

Then add all your wonder full css to make the gallery look really cool!

davidj
02-23-2007, 02:30 PM
lux has nailed the consept