PDA

View Full Version : Site sharing

krusty
02-17-2007, 06:14 PM
I have DW setup on my desktop with a few sites on it but I'd really like to access and test these sites sometimes from my laptop. I'd rather not copy these files over to the laptop - I'd like to work on them while they're on the desktop machine. What's the best way to do this whilst retaining the ability to ftp etc?

Thanks!

davidj
02-17-2007, 07:17 PM
i think your getting confused.

i am asuming that by desktop your meaning PC tower

and you are wanting to test the sites on the pc through your laptop which means your going to ave to network these machines up.

domedia
02-17-2007, 07:27 PM
i think your getting confused.

i am asuming that by desktop your meaning PC tower
He's not confused. It's common to refer to your desktop computer as your 'desktop', especially if you are referring to it in comparison to 'laptop'.
http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+desktop

Stop beating up new members heh ;)

Welcome to the forums krusty! Did you consider uploading the development files to a separate area on your hosting account in order to test for your laptop?

davidj
02-17-2007, 07:29 PM
never heard that before

oh well. Learn sometin new every day

krusty
02-18-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm very new to all of this so please forgive me!
Do you mean that I should just transfer the developing site to the network server and just do all the editing there from either machine?

btw the machines are networked together already - I'm just trying not to duplicate all the files etc. Can I just create a new site on the laptop and have it refer to the site directory on the desktop so that no files are duplicated on the lapop?

thanks
K

davidj
02-18-2007, 10:29 AM
yes however if you were wanting to use the laptop on its own you ill have problems

you can setup this working environment as you mentioned or you can configure the laptop as a stanalone machine The standalone option would require you to transfer the whole site across but it wont take long for you to get used to peforming a sync between both machines