PDA

View Full Version : DW file wipeout!

frobe99
02-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Hi, I'm new here. I found this site by accident as I was trying to find out why all of my Dreamweaver site files were erased after a windows update.

Happened this afternoon. I was turning off my computer and got the message windows was installing an update of some kind. Quite honestly, I didn't pay much attention to it, since such updates are pretty routine for Windows. My computer shutdown after the update, but when I turned it on later and went into DW all of my site files were gone! Wiped clean!

This has never happened before, and it is truly distressing!

My question is: has this ever happened to anyone before? Does anyone know of any reason why a Microsoft update would delete my DW files?

Any information would be appreciated.

frobe99

domedia
02-17-2007, 12:18 AM
Never heard about this before. Can you confirm that the actual files got deleted (Look in Explorer), or was it just the site definitions in DW that got hosed?

frobe99
02-17-2007, 12:39 AM
I noticed that when I turned on my computer and loaded DW, it was as if I had just newly installed the program. I had to choose which layout I wanted. I have DW8 and I still have DWMx on my machine, and site defs on both were deleted.

frobe99

domedia
02-17-2007, 01:33 AM
Ok, for a minute I thought your files had got deleted. *phew*, you said the files got erased, which made me very nervous for a second.

This is a bug in DW8 that was fixed with the 8.0.2 almost a year ago. Download the update here:
http://www.adobe.com/support/dreamweaver/downloads_updaters.html

The Microsoft update containing IE7 has swiped out many DW versions that was not updated. :-/

Unfortunately, this won't bring your site definitions back again, but I;m sure it will make you check for updates more often ;)

frobe99
02-17-2007, 01:44 AM
Ok, for a minute I thought your files had got deleted. *phew*, you said the files got erased, which made me very nervous for a second.

Sorry, didn't mean to throw you off! :oops:

This is a bug in DW8 that was fixed with the 8.0.2 almost a year ago. Download the update here:
http://www.adobe.com/support/dreamweaver/downloads_updaters.html

The Microsoft update containing IE7 has swiped out many DW versions that was not updated. :-/

Unfortunately, this won't bring your site definitions back again, but I;m sure it will make you check for updates more often ;)

And so it will! Thanks again for the information. I'm very glad I found this site!

frobe99