PDA

View Full Version : Install of Apache, PHP and MySQL

fwr1000
02-15-2007, 02:38 PM
I'm at the point of moving up the ladder and installing Apache, PHP and MySQl and have a couple (few) questions.

1. In the David Power's Foundation PHP for DW8 he reccommends NOT using one of the all in one packages such as XAMPP as it my not give the greatest flexability in setting up the system. He recommends using the individual packages and making the required adjustments oneself. I feel comfortabel doing that following his instructions but am wondering if it is necessary. Does anyone have any pros/cons over one method vrs the other?

2. I do my work on a laptop (Dell Inspiron 8200, 512 mem, 40 gb hd, Pent 4 2 ghz processor, WinXP SP2 Home). I have a home network set up and am wondering if I can set up Apache, etc on one of the networked computers and use it as my "testing server". It's not a particulary powerful machine (E Machine 512, 2.3 ghz, 80gb hd) but would keep me from having to add additional software and conserve some HD space. Is there a downside to doing it this way?

3. Any othe do/don't about getting started?

thnx
Fred

davidj
02-15-2007, 03:23 PM
1. In the David Power's Foundation PHP for DW8 he reccommends NOT using one of the all in one packages such as XAMPP as it my not give the greatest flexability in setting up the system. He recommends using the individual packages and making the required adjustments oneself. I feel comfortabel doing that following his instructions but am wondering if it is necessary. Does anyone have any pros/cons over one method vrs the other?

I have used both and found that both have met my needs. I use WAMP and found there is plenty of flexability with this installation. It copies and uses the same files as you would with a seperate install and while you are starting out you wont be pushing it very hard anyway. Maybe its the fact that you dont have the control over a binary install? oh well. As a testing sandbox you wont have any trouble so dont worry. When you are ready to go live with your product the host will be using seperatly installed versions. There is nothing stopping you installing the seperate components if you feel you want to experience this procedure.

2. I do my work on a laptop (Dell Inspiron 8200, 512 mem, 40 gb hd, Pent 4 2 ghz processor, WinXP SP2 Home). I have a home network set up and am wondering if I can set up Apache, etc on one of the networked computers and use it as my "testing server". It's not a particulary powerful machine (E Machine 512, 2.3 ghz, 80gb hd) but would keep me from having to add additional software and conserve some HD space. Is there a downside to doing it this way?

i would just install WAMP on your laptop so that becomes your local and your server environment. You can work anywhere you like then. You dont need a Network.

3. Any othe do/don't about getting started?
follow the tuts and enjoy yourself. If you have any questions then you know where we are
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/vtm

welcome to the world of programming