PDA

View Full Version : help. browser sizes

dubmeister
02-15-2007, 01:32 PM
I need help please.

I'm totally new to webdesign and dreamweaver.

I designed a website size 1024x768. When I preview the website onto a 15" monitor, the website doesn't fit in that size (15" monitor). I find myself scrolling to see the rest of the website.

Is there a code or easy way to fit my whole website in any monitor size without scrolling?

davidj
02-15-2007, 01:38 PM
do a search of this forum using the keyword Fluid

example thread...
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24434&highlight=fluid

domedia
02-15-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi dubmaister,
This is not directly related to the physical size of the monitor, but the monitor resolution settings. So all you need to do to view your website better on the 15", is to change the resolution for that monitor. Many people have their resolution set to 1024x768, and many to 800x600. Keep in mind that many don't browse with their browser in maximized size either.

There is no easy 'fix' for this, you basically have 2 options:

1. Design with the smallest common denominator in mind. Look at your server stats and find out if you have statistics on screen resolution. Determine what your lowest common denominator is. The majority still use 800x600, but there's plenty of movement in these numbers, and many have switched to 1024x768.

2. Design a fluid layout that expends/collapses based on the viewport width. The basic principle of this design is to use a div/table with a relative set size (ie. 90%)