PDA

View Full Version : Layers, tables and CSS ???

Ricky55
02-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Hi

I've done quite a few sites now and I am starting to get quite a few jobs and I want to start free lancing for a living.

All the sites I've done so far have been constructed with tables and flash content. Usually exporting tabular content from Fireworks and then tidying tnem up in Dreamweaver.

I keep reading in magazines and on the web that I should ditch tables and use CSS.

Is there therefore anything wrong with drawing out layers in dreamweaver and then styling them with the CSS panel?

I can remember when I first got taught dreamweaver I was told then that layers were easy to use but layouts could go wrong in older browsers and not to use them as tables were better.

What do you guys do? Does designing in CSS mean using layers or does it mean wrapping things in divs and classes and doing everything manually? This method just seems to be overly complicated I wouldn't know where to start my construction process.

This has probably been discussed before but I would be really inetrested to hear your views.

I hope layers are ok because they seem much easier than tables and much more flexible.

Thanks in advance.

Ricky55

domedia
02-03-2007, 09:55 PM
It's been discussed a couple of times yeah ;)

Ricky55
02-04-2007, 10:48 AM
what do you think though is it ok to use layers? what do you do yourself?

gmcrone
02-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Layers are dreamweaver's way of saying div. They are the same thing.

However, dreamweaver automatically creates your drawn layers as absolute positioned divs. Not always a good thing.

Mike...

Ricky55
02-04-2007, 08:43 PM
why can this be a bad thing?

Also how do you guys work do you use layers or do you create the code manually using divs ids and classes?

gmcrone
02-05-2007, 03:28 AM
why can this be a bad thing?

Also how do you guys work do you use layers or do you create the code manually using divs ids and classes?

The use of absolute positioning negates any attempt at a fluid layout, should only be used when you have a static sized page.

I first create my layout on paper.
Then I break the layout down to areas. (on paper)
Then I decide on what divs are required to create those areas and total layout.
(on paper)
Then I create the css file. (1st on paper, then as a computer file)
The I use the css file to create the actual page by manually inserting the divs.

Mike...

domedia
02-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Also how do you guys work do you use layers or do you create the code manually using divs ids and classes? I usually get a PSD file delivered. Next step is staring at the psd for 15 minutes deciding what should be considered 'main areas', and then slice the whole thing up to make those 'main areas' separate DIV's from code view, and then apply CSS to float all the stuff where it belongs.