PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum & dreamweaver

SGR1913
02-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Hi,

I'm a programmer in older technology, and want to learn web design for a couple of projects i have in mind.

I have a few questions if i may:

DreamWeaver- i want to write a website with a database driving it, designed in French, English etc with photos, database searches etc. Dreamweaver seems the ideal product, with plenty scope as my knowledge increases. I was going to buy it whilst in the US, but Adobe implied that i would have problems registering it in Europe.

Now the crunch: i need a new pc or possibly mac. I was leaning towards a mac for the first time in my life, is there any problems with DreamWeaver/technology i should be aware of?

domedia
02-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums!
DW works perfectly on a mac, so you should be all good.

SGR1913
02-02-2007, 05:18 PM
thanks for the input, a great website by the way. Once i get a new computer i'll be going through the tutorials asap.

davidj
02-02-2007, 07:03 PM
as you are a programmer already im betting you will sharp outgrow what dreamweaver has to offer in terms of drag n drop (wizardy) code snippets.

dreamweaver does have a good hand Coding option

Im an applications developer who can remember the early days of drumbeat and ultra dev but i soon learned to detached myself from the wizardy toys.

I even have my doubts when nubee's pick this up and start scripting using the built in dropdowns. Yes dreamweaver will write the connection script and connect to a database when you fill in a connection questionare. And yes you can delete and add and update records and dreamweaver will write this for you after you tick a few boxes, select a db table from a list and press the OK button. but what happens when they get...

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at .../includes/functions.php:124)
in .../includes/page.php on line 495

What do they do then?

dont get me wrong..
as far as HTML is concerned i love it and it saves a hell of allot of time when building web sites (or in my case the GUI) but as far as scripting i use Dreamweaver in Code view 100% as you will do also

What languages have you been involved with SGR

SGR1913
02-02-2007, 08:10 PM
I did a computing degree, and have learnt many that i've now forgotten. The last 12 years i've worked in proiv, which is an old 4gl we use for server/data processing on global systems. For several years we've had a vb front end which i've also worked on. Basically the system is moving to newer technology, and people like me are in big trouble. This spurred me on to decide to learn web stuff with an aim to work for myself in the future. I know SQL which is a benefit, and the rest of the stuff i'll pick up as i develop my project. The good thing these days, is there are forums such as this, with people prepared to give pointers and tips even to beginners.

In no time at all i'll have some cracking pages up on the net, thats the idea anyway

davidj
02-02-2007, 08:26 PM
the company i work for is a payroll services company which used main frames to process jobs and therefore has its legacy apps written in cobal. The majority of our 10 strong development team are cobal programmers (well analysts really as this title commands 10k less)

get yourself into PHP and your going to have a great time learning this stuff.

with your experience il see back here as a moderator in a couple of weeks

welcome to the forum.