PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Notices

fwr1000
01-31-2007, 03:36 PM
The sites I've developed all have the "Copyright 200x by XXXXX" in the footer. Now that we've passed into 2007, is it necessary/good idea to change the date to the current year?

thnx
Fred

domedia
01-31-2007, 05:29 PM
I think it's a good idea, although I'm not sure if this gives you extra protection or not. This is a sample from one of my sites, I have PHP print the current year so I don't have to update it every year.
Copyright &copy; 2001-<?php echo date("Y");?>

davidj
01-31-2007, 06:49 PM
that would work if your using PHP

you are using PHP fwr1000?

If you are then dom is correct but just to go 1 better stick the entire footer in a footer.php page then just include it throughout your site / sites

fwr1000
01-31-2007, 08:11 PM
At this point the only PHP I'm using is for from mail (from the DW Club tut) which I have on three sites I've done. Looks like the next step is to up the skills to PHP. I have David Power's Foundation PHP for DW 8 so along with the DW Club I hope to add this to my bag of tricks.

Thanks Dom and Davidj for the info.

Fred

davidj
01-31-2007, 08:57 PM
try what dom advised

just copy doms footer example into the bottom of your page and hold on tight!!!!

d a v e
01-31-2007, 09:40 PM
as i understand it you only need the year from which the site went live (i.e. when copyright commenced) but it looks a bit weird so you can use e.g. 1997-2007. opinion does seem to vary as technically putting 2007 means that the copyright didn't exist before, but i'm no lawyer! ;)

domedia
01-31-2007, 10:02 PM
and in the U.S. you don't have to claim copyright in order to have it, it's yours by default the moment you make it.. I'm no lawyer either I just follow what everyone else is doing ;) so I add it just to be sure

davidj
01-31-2007, 11:01 PM
http://www.allbusiness.com/legal/intellectual-property-copyright/652-1.html

fwr1000
02-01-2007, 08:55 PM
I've tried to do the simple paste but can't get it to work. I made a dummy page with dom's code pasted in the body. Saved as .html and uploaded to the server (which does support PHP) Obviously I'm missing something (probably a basic understanding of PHP)

Is there anything that needs to go in the head?
Should the page be a .php page?
Other?

Fred

fwr1000
02-01-2007, 09:06 PM
figured it out. When I pasted the code the quote marksaround the Ywere converted by dreamweaver
Here's what the paste looked like. &lt;?php echo date(&quot;Y&quot;);?&gt;
I went in and cleaned it up to match Dom's example, saved the page at .php uploaded and everything worked as expected.

Thanks for the info.
Fred

kona72
02-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Bloody Brilliant!!
I am so using this on all my sites now. I have been using a footer include and then going and changing them all but implementing both now is GREAT!!!

domedia
02-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Years ago I used to be the guy who had to change the copyright year on many websites (3 digits) manually.. Sufficient to say, when I discovered some of the server side coding available I was pretty exstatic too :)
Bloody Brilliant!!
I am so using this on all my sites now. I have been using a footer include and then going and changing them all but implementing both now is GREAT!!!

davidj
02-27-2007, 03:04 PM
have been using a footer include and then going and changing them all

that doesnt make sense?

i also use footer includes and this means to me that you only have the contents of the footer in one page which you call into many pages so at the most you would have to change just the one page?

am i looking at this wrong?

domedia
02-27-2007, 03:13 PM
I think he means he had to change the copyright year in the footer include every year. Now he doesn't have to 8)

kona72
02-28-2007, 01:32 PM
that doesnt make sense?

i also use footer includes and this means to me that you only have the contents of the footer in one page which you call into many pages so at the most you would have to change just the one page?

am i looking at this wrong?

Hey DJ,

No you aren't looking at it wrong. Now instead of changing the one included file I will have to change NO files, just let PHP do it for me!!

davidj
02-28-2007, 01:50 PM
gotcha

i understand