PDA

View Full Version : bread crumbs...

jasmine
01-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Is there a site with an easy to use breadcrumbs code? I am having a hard time finding one that is explains the code well and is easy to use...

Thanks! :)

domedia
01-30-2007, 07:38 PM
server side code or html/css code? What do you want to find out?

d a v e
01-30-2007, 08:33 PM
also have you looked on the extensions part of the adobe site for 'breadcrumbs' ?

davidj
01-30-2007, 09:03 PM
i think there is a breadcrumb snippet in dreamweaver

jasmine
01-31-2007, 03:00 PM
I am comfortable with code or CSS. I'll have a snoop around what dreamweaver may have and get back to you on that one. Really, I just want something that is easy to use, but I also want to understand the why and the how of how it works...casue I want to learn something too. :)

davidj
01-31-2007, 03:04 PM
in the FILES panel you should see a tab called snippets

in there look for a dir called Navigation > Breadcrumb

you just drag the files onto your page and modify to suit

domedia
01-31-2007, 04:32 PM
I am comfortable with code or CSS. What I meant was are you looking for something to automatically create breadcrumbs for you in your application, or are you just looking for some style to apply to them?

stoneygossard
02-09-2007, 07:01 PM
What I meant was are you looking for something to automatically create breadcrumbs for you in your application, or are you just looking for some style to apply to them?

Dom,

Are there any handy functions out there to automatically generate breadcrumbs?

Stone

domedia
02-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Dom,

Are there any handy functions out there to automatically generate breadcrumbs?

Stone

You can use any server side language at your choosing to build your own, or use davidj's suggestion above which is probably faster ;)

d a v e
02-09-2007, 07:19 PM
or look for an extension??!

stoneygossard
02-09-2007, 07:20 PM
I used Davidj's suggestion but when I drag the files from snippets onto my page it simply inserts hyperlinks onto the page without any php code (or any other ss script). So it isn't dynamic at all which is what I reallly need.

any more ideas Dom other than hand coding it in php?

Stone

stoneygossard
02-09-2007, 07:21 PM
The snippet thing only places hyperlinks on the page but they aren't dynamic.Are there any free dynamic extensions around?

Stone

domedia
02-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Dynamic based on what excatly?
If you don't already have a CMS/DB in place for your content it can't *magically* create sense of your site hierarchy. Unless you create sense of the hierarchy on the backend, you can't output it front end.

stoneygossard
02-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Dynamic based on what excatly?
If you don't already have a CMS/DB in place for your content it can't *magically* create sense of your site hierarchy. Unless you create sense of the hierarchy on the backend, you can't output it front end.

That was *most helpful* Dom.

thank you.

Stone

domedia
02-09-2007, 07:47 PM
That was *most helpful* Dom. Oops I hope you're not being sarcastic, I was actually trying to be helpful :) Sorry if it came out the wrong way. :(

Breadcrumb navigation is just a reflection of the current page's location on the website, and without the website categories/subcategories defined somehow, the breadcrumbs cannot be made.

I also find that breadcrumbs are mostly useful on relative large websites to assist the navigation already in place.

stoneygossard
02-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Oops I hope you're not being sarcastic, I was actually trying to be helpful :) Sorry if it came out the wrong way. :(

Breadcrumb navigation is just a reflection of the current page's location on the website, and without the website categories/subcategories defined somehow, the breadcrumbs cannot be made.

Thanks Dom,

I realise there has to be a structure in place for the code to check the path. What type of structure though?can the code not determine (somehow) from the site map which page the user is on?I know i'm going on about this but it would be great to sort it using php as i'm learning it big time but not sure where to start with breadcrumbs.

Stone

d a v e
02-09-2007, 08:39 PM
something like this http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?view=sn121&extID=508728

stoneygossard
02-10-2007, 10:11 AM
something like this http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?view=sn121&extID=508728

That's the one Dave. Cheer man.

Stone