PDA

View Full Version : #wrapper and the order of layer placement

designerstitch
01-17-2007, 08:36 AM
After completeing a 3 day intensive, and also doing alot of reading
via suggested links here I have the following question please.
My web site is http://www.designerstitch.com.au
This is in its infancy as I have built this page with layers, and CSS
( although my CSS is fairly basic too, but I really like CSS),
but as I want the page to centre in all sizes of user screen, I plan
to use a wrapper (parent) to lock all my layers in ( child).
When applying the layers
1: is the order important whne placing layers. Do I need to follow the
order of
a: header
b: top nav bar
c: side nav bar
d: centre text
e: right side bar if using
f: footer

or can layers be placed "wherever" in the order when I create them.

Thanks
Ann :)
(When completeing my intensive the tutor
recommended layers, inconjunction with CSS, so I am not going to use
layers by themselves. He said tables were old hat when compared to
layers/CSS.
Thanks for your help.
Ann) :)

davidj
01-17-2007, 09:40 AM
hi there

welcome to the forum

just a quick couple of points regarding your site before an CSS expert answers your question. Hope you dont mind

you have a neat design although could do with a little more thought
Your text information is randomly placed and is very busy

You have overdosed on centre aligning your text

also your navigation opens new windows with every click. You need to use target=" _self" in your navigation links

for inspiration...

check this link out which is under the heading fashion and design and is bling orientated
http://www.istitutomarangoni.com

check this link out which is under the heading fashion and design and is information orientated
http://www.artinstitutes.edu/index.asp

I have uploaded an image to let you see what your site looks like on my monitor

designerstitch
01-17-2007, 09:14 PM
thanks davidj for looking at my site. I appreciate your critique and will tone it down a little. Your image you posted replicates mine if I view my page on my laptop, the background image tiles, and the fabric alert box stretches out, which is very messy. If I look at the page on my normal monitor ( resolution smaller) it doesn't tile, hence that is why I am asking about the #wrapper info to avoid tiling.
Will also change the multiple windows opening, and will try to clean up my random text although may ask you for another critique. :wink:
Thank for the links to the other pages, I like the art institutes page, it is straight to the point.
Am looking forward to learning alot here on the forum.
All the best
Annie:-D

designerstitch
01-17-2007, 09:15 PM
all i like the way the art institues pages centres in the middle. That is what I am trying to achieve.
All the best
Annie

davidj
01-24-2007, 07:36 AM
{Bump}

sorry

this post never got resolved..

Anybody help here

edbr
01-24-2007, 08:09 AM
no expert here but ill try and help, you have used absolute positions for your layers and given px sizes. If I understand your question to centre in all resolutions you will need to state sizes as a percentages to be fluid.

designerstitch
01-24-2007, 08:13 AM
Thanks again for your help David. I was just going to post this when I got notified that you had placed another message. After loads of reading, I have finally worked out the #wrapper combined with layers and getting it to resize or put itself into the centre of all browsers. Well I have tried it on 2 size screens and it works, not that I am any expert at all!!!!

As there is no reading that I have found on order of layer placement I just took a punt and placed my layers in the wrapper as per my first message. According to some SEO reading I have done this may not be the optimal way of doing this order, but I am still miffed about the exact order etc.

I am playing with your suggestion of not making all of my text centred, which I find hard to cut the "habit" but it seems to be working.

But the problem I have is that I have not be able to "squash" everything down to a working screen size of the recommended 760 pixels. Does this present a major problem for browers etc, as I want so much to go into my index page. It isn't actually alot of words etc, it is just I am still having the 3 columns of stuff.
I am planning to upload the "new" pages according to your suggestions here on the forum David. If possible I would appreciate a critique, as I have trying to watch the code as I have been re-working.
But if anyone can help me re: the "order" of layer placement I owuld be appreciative.

Thanks again
Annie:)

davidj
01-24-2007, 08:24 AM
here is a tool which you may find useful

http://browsershots.org/

point the tool to your uploaded site and choose the browsers you want it to test across. Then set the maximum time and submit it

its just a case of waiting for the screenshots. Although this tool is not fast enough to be used as a development tool it does give you some idea of how your site looks in different browsers.

domedia
01-24-2007, 01:35 PM
the wrapper tutorial is still on the homepage http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/