PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to analyze my log files?

jmf
01-13-2007, 01:37 AM
I would like to analyze my web log files that I have downloaded to my local machine. I can read them okay with 123loganalyzer but I am wondering if there are better ways. I use a mac and there seems to be some unix options like Webalizer, but they are a little clumsy if you are not familiar with terminal commands.

jmf

domedia
01-13-2007, 03:28 AM
I can read them okay with 123loganalyzer but I am wondering if there are better ways. Hi jmf! What kind of info are you looking for?

For PPC and marketing tracking, Google analyzer is really nice, where you can track clicks all the way through finished purchase. If you're looking for simple stats 123loganalyzer should do.

jmf
01-13-2007, 03:52 AM
I'm looking for period reports that show the amount of site activity. (Visitors, hits etc.) to impress sponsor etc.

It seems that this kind of data (log analyzing software) is a closely controlled industry. My site produces IIS 5.0 logs, which I download to analyze.

jmf

domedia
01-13-2007, 07:04 AM
Then 123Analyzer should suffice. You should ask your host to provide log analysis software running on the server as well.

davidj
01-13-2007, 10:41 AM
i had some experience with web trends

very proffessional and informative

http://www.webtrends.com/